Registering Simmental

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
I have a couple cows one is Registered Angus and one is Registered Maine that I bred to a Registered 1/2 Simmental. Curious does Simmental register 1/4 bloods? Figured I would join Simmental Association since my new bull is PB Simmental. But curious how a person goes about registering with them when you use non registered cows and semen purchased from a semen dealer?

aplusmnt":arul33b2 said:
Curious does Simmental register 1/4 bloods?

Visit their website - it will give you the requirements for registering cattle.

But curious how a person goes about registering with them when you use non registered cows and semen purchased from a semen dealer?

It depends entirely on the Association - if the semen was collected from a registered bull that may be enough to be able to register your calves. If they will accept percentage calves with only one registered parent, it's a simple matter of filling out the paperwork and submitting it along with the fee for registration. If neither parent was registered, then I'm thinking it's unlikely you're going to be able to register the calves - regardless of the Association. I do not think it's possible to register your cows because you probably don't know their lineage, and neither parent was probably registered. Generally speaking, registration requires at least one parent be registered. I hope this helps.

Seriously, why bother registering a 1/4 blood? please explain the reason as to the benefit of registering a 1/4 blood, in detail :lol:

topsquar":1gazurcl said:
Seriously, why bother registering a 1/4 blood? please explain the reason as to the benefit of registering a 1/4 blood, in detail :lol:

The reason I see for registering a 1/4 blood would be so you could register it's offspring when bred to a fullblood.

dun

dun":2zfuo9mr said:
topsquar":2zfuo9mr said:

The reason I see for registering a 1/4 blood would be so you could register it's offspring when bred to a fullblood.

dun

Yep, if I can register the 1/4 blood heifer I have then I breed them to my PB Registered I think that would make them 5/8 Simmental instead of 1/2 Simmental.

I know Maine's can be registered low percentage, but was not sure if Simmental was the same.

Also if I can register the 1/4 bloods my kids can show them in some different shows in the Simmental class versus a Crossbreed class. Like at our County fair they do not have a crossbreed class in the open class. You have to have papers to show.

Probably would not worry about it but like I mentioned above, since my New bull is a registered PB Simmental might as well register any of the cows I can also.

aplusmnt":3202g9l4 said:
I have a couple cows one is Registered Angus and one is Registered Maine that I bred to a Registered 1/2 Simmental. Curious does Simmental register 1/4 bloods? Figured I would join Simmental Association since my new bull is PB Simmental. But curious how a person goes about registering with them when you use non registered cows and semen purchased from a semen dealer?

We belong to the ASA. We have registered Simmental, Polled Hereford, and 1 Angus. They are all bred to our Simmental bull if they don't take AI. In order for us to register the calves from the herefords and angus we had to register the dams as a foundation female. It cost $25 per cow. You get papers with the calves if you want. It lists the dams by their tattoo #. You can still check with the ASA to see if there are any changes.

the last time i looked, the Simm Assn dues were $100/yr.

sounds pretty high for one animal.

Aero said:

sounds pretty high for one animal.[/quote

$100 is the annual service fee. It cost us $150 for a mulitiple member household. It cost $17 not $25 to register a foundation female. Sorry. We are in THE so we don't pay any registration fee. It cost $6 per cow. You can look on the Simmental website under registration and then self billing worksheet to find fees.

I believe you will find that you can't register a calf out of a 1/2 blood simmental bull or, at least, it would make no sense to do so. However, it would be to your advantage to register the 1/2 blood progeny out of your purebred simmental bull. The market for 1/2 blood simmental X angus or simmental X red angus is hot right now. Participation in the THE (Total Herd Enrollment) program is very economical if you have more than a few cows and plan on registering most of them.

Aero":2d75rfgu said:

sounds pretty high for one animal.

With our bull being PB, then we would have some 20 calves this time next year that would be registrable as 1/2 bloods.

If you have a purebred Simmental dam or sire, you can register the calves out of that mating as a percentage. As stated before, you'll have to "register" the dam as a foundation female, but you can get papers.

Let's back up a little. First, you DO NOT have to register a cow as a foundation female. IF you bred a Simmental COW to another registered breed of bull, than the BULL would have to be registered as a foundation bull.

Here's the enrollment options & Fees:
$100/year membership fee.
Total Registration: pay $12/cow (grade or registered) and calf registration & transfer is FREE. All calves get EPD's
Select Registration: Enroll all cows free, select calves to register <270 days $22, get EPD's on reg. calves only. Transfer is free when sold.
Non-THE - no enrollment for cows - pay $30 if calf if <270 days. EPD's on registrated calves, transfer is free.
(Add $3/head for non-electronic data submission)

I have been Total Herd Enrollment since first year offered.

dun":1f2yzzvu said:
topsquar":1f2yzzvu said:

dun
Correct! You have to start - SOMEWHERE! The primary purpose of "Registration" is to improve the prepotency (the ability to transmit optimal traits) of the cattle you are breeding. Perpetual up-grading (breeding Registered cattle to Registered cattle) enhances (improves) the quality of the characteristics of the progeny (offspring) and over time (5 -7 generations depending on the particular Breed registration requirements) of breeding registered Bulls of the SAME breed to each successive resulting heifer progeny, you achieve about 99.21875% Purebred progeny, carried to the one/millionth degree. In 32 generations, you will reach absolute mathematical purebred purity - Which is pretty close for Government work! But by this time - you have lost the heterosis (Crossbred vigor) which multiple-breed mating provides!! Comprende mi amigo??

But the point is - THIS is why we ". . . .bother. . . . " to register 1/4 bloods. There has to be a beginning point to breed "UP"!

DOC HARRIS