Registering newborn calves.

Help Support CattleToday:

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":3r0zzpq0 said:
cornstalk":3r0zzpq0 said:
Can anyone help me with this one? Purchased a herd of 7 registered angus hiefers last fall. Starting to calve this past week. Not sure If I want to register the calves or not, however if I did.........what would it entail? Costs, records involved? Registration procedures?

Thanks a bunch.

Go ahead and tattoo them, it will help you identify them later.There is no big hurry to get them registered,you might want to cull them. ;-) :cboy:

Well, the breed may be saving you money (bonus)but I see it a little differently. The Red Angus Association promotes THR or Total Herd Reporting. I pay per head of productive aged cows/heifers and their calf is registered under that fee. The benefit as I see it is that "in theory" the data for animals (EPDs) should be more accurate since I am not merely reporting the cream of the crop. I think it gives a more realistic look at the breed.

(IMHO)

So get em registerd good or bad. I see, makes a little sence. Brangus Assc. usues pore phenotype as a culling tool.

Scotty

Scotty":2h718dre said:
So get em registerd good or bad. I see, makes a little sence. Brangus Assc. usues pore phenotype as a culling tool.

Scotty

They're not necesarrily registered, they are reported as produce of the sire and dam. But they can be registered. Full data through weaning is required for registration though.

dun

dun":1c5t48qf said:
Scotty":1c5t48qf said:

Scotty

They're not necesarrily registered, they are reported as produce of the sire and dam. But they can be registered. Full data through weaning is required for registration though.

dun

Thanks, dun, for clearing that one up! Are you too busy to be the other half of my brain? It would only be a part-time gig--don't want people to expect too much, you know.

Latest posts