Registering newborn calves.

Help Support CattleToday:

cornstalk

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with this one? Purchased a herd of 7 registered angus hiefers last fall. Starting to calve this past week. Not sure If I want to register the calves or not, however if I did.........what would it entail? Costs, records involved? Registration procedures?

Thanks a bunch.

last i registered was holsteins, had to have a tatoo outfit & draw pictures or send photos of them, no idea what it would cost now as this was years ago

Most breeds you have to buy an AI certificate. If they were pasture bred you need to get the registration # of the bull and have the owner of the bull sign a paper saying it is ok to register calves out of his bull(hereford-don't know about angus). If you go to the angus association web site it will tell you the procedure and the prices. It is usually cheaper to register a calf the younger it is.

Jerry,

I do not have fond memories of drawing off the calves. We did it the same time we tagged, dehorned and removed extra teats. UGH!!!

I raise limousins, and what I usually do is tattoo the calf and weigh it, then get a registration sheet from NALF fill out all the info and send it in with a check.

cornstalk":1sfy09rh said:
Can anyone help me with this one? Purchased a herd of 7 registered angus hiefers last fall. Starting to calve this past week. Not sure If I want to register the calves or not, however if I did.........what would it entail? Costs, records involved? Registration procedures?

Thanks a bunch.

Go ahead and tattoo them, it will help you identify them later.There is no big hurry to get them registered,you might want to cull them. ;-) :cboy:

Tattooing.............. Can I put anything in it's ear as far as #'s and letters for the tattoo? But what about when you get them bangs vaccinated...does the vet put in the bangs id tattoo also, or do you use the tattoo you put in or what?

Also when you register the calves you need the birth weight I believe, and it's supposed to be within 24 hrs of birth. I am new at the registered thing also, so maybe someone else can say for sure.

I put my herd prefix on top which is four letters then put my idenification number for that calf then the year code.
XMGX
050R

Dee":3n2p3f0a said:
Tattooing.............. Can I put anything in it's ear as far as #'s and letters for the tattoo? But what about when you get them bangs vaccinated...does the vet put in the bangs id tattoo also, or do you use the tattoo you put in or what?

Also when you register the calves you need the birth weight I believe, and it's supposed to be within 24 hrs of birth. I am new at the registered thing also, so maybe someone else can say for sure.

The registering authority will assign you a herd prefix,then each year has a letter assigned to it,then you can put in the number (e.g. birth order)of the calf.... as in "SFR1" . This is your herd registration letters, the year it was born (2005), and the birth order if you choose........ You tattoo in the left ear,the vet uses the right ear for the bangs tattoo, which has is own unique number. ;-) :cboy:

I am wondering if the breed associations differ, or if it's location. All of my purebred Angus have the same tattoo in the left and right ears. Some 3 and some 4 digits. If you have a unique tattoo, you do not need to have the bangs id tattooed, they just record your tattoo #, and you don't need to put the bangs tag in either.

cornstalk":3t9hkz4m said:

Thanks a bunch.

Go to the American Agus Association. They have it spelled out clear. When you get there look under the picture of the bull. There will be some places to click. Go to rules and applications. Read carefully. This will get them good Angus heifers registerd.,

Scotty

Thanks for the direction everyone. Much appreciated.

My goodness,.......tattoo's, ear tag #'s, brands, bangs tags, and EIN's. Could we make this any more complex!? :lol:

How about a single EIN # with all of the above information which can be retrieved via laptop computer w/ wireless hookup and gps capabilites......or are we becoming too complex again?

I would guess this technology is closer than I think.... :shock:

BTW: Where does one find the above mentioned tattoo-ing equipment?

Thanks! :cboy:

i got mine at jeffers... they make a double headed one.. cant remember exzctly what it is called.. but you can put your letters for your ranch or registration id in one part of it and numbers/letters for the calf id in the other... can tatto the calf fast that way..

jt

cornstalk":1j1c91dp said:
Thanks for the direction everyone. Much appreciated.

My goodness,.......tattoo's, ear tag #'s, brands, bangs tags, and EIN's. Could we make this any more complex!? :lol:

How about a single EIN # with all of the above information which can be retrieved via laptop computer w/ wireless hookup and gps capabilites......or are we becoming too complex again?

I would guess this technology is closer than I think.... :shock:

BTW: Where does one find the above mentioned tattoo-ing equipment?

Thanks! :cboy:

Slow down. Not that hard. Tatoo stuff at nearly any supply store. My vet has these things. I think you said Angus cattle you are registering. Tatoo in both ears at working. Same number, one you pick once a year and put in the ear. You don't have to ear tag them, only you might have a hard time getting them to let you look in their ear. EIN will be in a tag than can be scanned. Bangs tag are given to the females only when they are Bangs vaccinated.

Scotty

cornstalk":177ym1hh said:

Thanks a bunch.

You must be a member of the American Angus Association to register calves. I think it's still $35, if you don't subscribe to the Angus Journal. When you join they will send you a Breeders Reference Guide. It has everything you need to know about registering Angus cattle. (It's also online at the http://www.angus.org site) The cost is $7 per head for a calf less than 4 months old. Price goes up after that. If the calves are AI sired, you'll probably need an AI certificate from the owner of the bull. Unless he told you specifically otherwise, the breeder who sold you the cattle should furnish the AI certificate. If they are bred to his bull, he should have noted the bull and breeding date on the registration certificate that you received. No AI certificate is necessary at that time.

Welcome to the Angus business and good luck with the cattle...

Latest posts