Registering cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

WisRose

Reaction score
With just two registered heifers, does it pay for me to become a member of the Hereford association? Would I get enough extra out of a registered calf to warrent all the expense? I plan on keeping any heifer calves that are born, it would just be the bull calves that I would sell. The certificates for the ones that my hiefers are bred to are $75 and $100.

WisRose":fw6k4e84 said:
With just two registered heifers, does it pay for me to become a member of the Hereford association?
Nope

I too have reg. Herefords and I'm doing the same as you, keeping hiefers to build the herd and selling the steers. I think it depends on what you want to do with your cattle. If you want to show or raise show calves to sell than maybe you can get your money back by paying for the certs., but just to sell out of the paper or at the feed lot, don't waste your money.

I looked into AI, but decided to buy a Bull. I found one with great EPD's, good conformation and a great attitude. A half brother to a Reserve Grand Champion in the Denver show a couple of years ago. He cost me $1000 as a yearling. When I'm done with him I should be able to get most or all of the $1000 back. So I figure all of his calves hit the ground for free, $10 to reg calves with the AHA (up to 4 months old) so it's not that bad if I own the bull. Down side is the bull eats almost as much as 2 cows. So you have to factor that in.

Alan

Latest posts