Registering Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

Adam Freeman

Reaction score
I just became a member of the AAA and was trying to figure out how to get 6 registered cows I bought transferred over to my member number. My bull is already under my name so just trying to get the cows transferred over as well.

I also need to figure out how to register the calves from this paring up. Right now I have 1 bull calf and 1 heifer calf with more on the way. Is there some special way that they come up with names as well I am just getting started and have so many questions.

We are hoping to retain our heifer calves and possibly the bull calves if they are good to sell later on. the rest of our heard is all commercial angus .

Thanks for the help.

Contact the seller. It is their job to transfer the animals into your name and also to see that any calves that were conceived while still in their possession have a bull certificate and are signed over to you for registration. You can call American Angus and someone may be able to help if the seller refuses. Make sure they signed the papers if you received those.

I usually name my retained heifer calves with my ranch prefix. their mothers name followed by the tag number of the bull or an abbreviated name, the cow tag number and finally their own tag number. If I keep a bull calf, I use the same system but substitute the bulls name for the cows. My herd is commercial, but they are all registered. I rarely keep a bull. Marketing bulls is expensive and it generally takes many years to establish a reputation that enables a profit. I had a local rancher who wanted me to raise him some bulls and he would buy them right off the cow at a premium over market price. It proved to be more of a headache than it was worth. I pretty much band everything before they are a month old.

Example of how I name a heifer:
KatPau Cherry 786-1003-1902 This cow goes back to my original line of cows that trace to Thomas Cherry Blossom. That cow traces all the way back to a cow by the name of Cherry Blossom of Peebles born in 1928. This cows sire was CAR Chinook 786, her dam was cow 1003, and her own tag is 1902.

Contact the seller. It is their job to transfer the animals into your name and also to see that any calves that were conceived while still in their possession have a bull certificate and are signed over to you for registration. You can call American Angus and someone may be able to help if the seller refuses. Make sure they signed the papers if you received those.

I usually name my retained heifer calves with my ranch prefix. their mothers name followed by the tag number of the bull or an abbreviated name, the cow tag number and finally their own tag number. If I keep a bull calf, I use the same system but substitute the bulls name for the cows. My herd is commercial, but they are all registered. I rarely keep a bull. Marketing bulls is expensive and it generally takes many years to establish a reputation that enables a profit. I had a local rancher who wanted me to raise him some bulls and he would buy them right off the cow at a premium over market price. It proved to be more of a headache than it was worth. I pretty much band everything before they are a month old.

Example of how I name a heifer:
KatPau Cherry 786-1003-1902 This cow goes back to my original line of cows that trace to Thomas Cherry Blossom. That cow traces all the way back to a cow by the name of Cherry Blossom of Peebles born in 1928. This cows sire was CAR Chinook 786, her dam was cow 1003, and her own tag is 1902.
Great information we name the same way. We do develop bulls and your exactly right it has taken years to develop our bull program. Our tattoo system is for example the first calf born in 2021 will be 2101 second will be 2102. This helps me know when in the calving season a calf arrived.

Latest posts