Registering Angus ?

Help Support CattleToday:

tnfarmboy67

Reaction score
I bought 4 registered Angus cow/calf pairs at a registered Angus sale, how hard is it going to be for me to get the calves registered? Two of the calves were from natural breeding and two of them were from Ai breeding.

Also if I ET a non registered cow with a Angus embryo how hard will it be to get the calf registered?

As loomg as you have all the paper work in orer it should be fairly simple. But first you'll have to join the angus association. Once you've done that I would expect you to get paperwork that would explain everything you need to do.

If you bought pairs at a purebred sale, the calves should already be registered. If they were bred cows it should be on the papers what they were bred to, then you will have to buy certificates on the AI and may have to get a bull permit on natural service from the bull owner. Pretty easy to do, can all be done online.
Embryos are a little different, make sure the cow has had a snp(parentage) done, AI bulls usually have it. You will need those done for the parentage test. Then if the cow was flushed in the last few years the cow owner will have to sign a certificate if you don't own the cow. I usually save the straw or the embryologist does so I have the collection date, you will need that. After all that Its like a regular calf.

I have attached the suggested terms and conditions for sales from the Angus Association website. Glad you brought this one up a change has been made that I wasn't aware of in that the registration of an AI calf is the responsibility of the buyer, in the past this was the responsibility of the seller. So thanks I think you saved me some money by asking this question!

http://www.angus.org/Pub/suggested_sale_terms.pdf

gizmom