registering Angus heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I found some Angus heifers for sale from a registered breeder. He is selling them for $650 each unregistered and says you can register them at your own expense. What is the expense of register them?

Depends on how old they are. Regardless of age, the max is $27. There is also an extra $10 fee if they're embryo calves (probably not the case). If you do it, I'd just pay the fee to the breeder and have them do it for you and then transfer the animals to you.

tncattle":1sv9e1fq said:
I found some Angus heifers for sale from a registered breeder. He is selling them for $650 each unregistered and says you can register them at your own expense. What is the expense of register them?

Registration costs $7 up to 4 months old; $9 up to 10 months; and $14 from 10-12 months of age. But you have to be a member of the Angus Assn to register them. A regular membership is $30 a year.

I'd say don't do it. It's his responsibility as an Angus breeder to register the calves. If he's adamant that he won't pay for it and you want registered animals, then ask him to register them and you'll pay the $7 or $9 extra. Both parents of the heifers must be registered, too. If he hasn't kept up with registration papers, that's another $27 each to register them....if their parents are registered and so on down the line. I've seen unhappy people who thought they had bought registered heifers never get the papers.

He says he has 50 heifers ranging from weaning age to breeding age. If someone will buy at least 10 he will sell for $650 each and register at your own expense. If he has to be the one to register them why would he just not include that in the asking price? Now I haven't seen them so who knows what they look like but if they are good quality is that a fair asking price?

tncattle":1787pd9o said:
He says he has 50 heifers ranging from weaning age to breeding age. If someone will buy at least 10 he will sell for $650 each and register at your own expense. If he has to be the one to register them why would he just not include that in the asking price? Now I haven't seen them so who knows what they look like but if they are good quality is that a fair asking price?

That's why I say don't do it. If you're wanting registered cattle, you're better off buying registered (as opposed registerable) cattle. If the parents of these heifers aren't registered, no one can register the heifers. Several years ago we worked through a situation with a friend about this. He had about three generations of Angus cattle that hadn't been registered. It cost him some money to get them all registered so his daughter could show a heifer. But he owned all the cattle; you don't have any control over the parents, grandparents of these heifers.

I'd say if they're of good quality, that's a good price. If both parents are registered, he can sign a form and you can register the heifers....if you are a member of the American Angus Assn. The kicker here is the paperwork. If you'll be using them as commercial, it may not make any difference to you. But if you want registered cattle, I'd say look elsewhere or ask him to register them before you take posession or write any checks.

I need to edit this to add that he can sign a form for you to register the heifers if he's a member of the Assn. You must be a member to register or transfer Angus cattle. Sorry about that.....

I guess the question I have is why do you want them registered?

If you intend to breed registered cattle, perhaps calves sold at feeder prices aren't the kind of quality you want to start your herd with.

some breeders are doing this to prevent paying AM testing fees ($24/hd), AI cert fees (upt o $40/hd), registration fees ($7-27/hd), and ET fees ($10/hd)... up to $101/hd to register.

lakading":v9t0b5go said:
I guess the question I have is why do you want them registered?

If you intend to breed registered cattle, perhaps calves sold at feeder prices aren't the kind of quality you want to start your herd with.

sounds like a project to make him a real breeder! turning the bad ones into good ones is a challenge. ;-)

Lot of registered calves around here sell that way- both privately and at the auctions...Set price and then if you want the papers you have to pay an extra $50- $100...But the seller does the registering, pays the fees, and transfers them to the new owner..

IF I really liked the heifers I would jump on them at $650 each and then work with the seller, the association, and/or the breed rep to get them registered eventually. IF I didn't like the heifers, I wouldn't buy them registered or not even if he lowered the price.

Jovid":2ay44imn said:
How old are these heifers?

What do they weigh?

He has 50 and they differ in age he said he has at least 20 that are breeding age. We live about 80 miles apart so he is going to send me some pics before I decide to make a trip to look.

Don't forget the cost of the AI Certificate. $20-$50. If they were AI sired.

Sizmic

Latest posts