registering a herd

Help Support CattleToday:

buckaroo_bif

Reaction score
I have run stocker cattle a number of years and am soon getting into running a cow calf herd. (more grass now) I am going to run black angus and am considering whether or not it is worth the time and expense to register them. I also run a hay business and farm a large acerage of wheat so time is also a big factor during breeding season. During calving season the extra time may not be a problem.
Thanks
bif

Don't know what kind of cattle you're running. Depends on supply & demand economics.

That aside, you market and sell non-registered cattle by the pound. You sell registered cattle by "each." Of course, if the sire and dam aren't registered the calf can't be registered. And, some cattle aren't worth registering based on their lineage & current conformation.

It cost the same to feed a $500 animal as it does a $5,000 animal.

Thanks Bill, They will be all black angus. The few heifers I have bought so far are not registered which will be a problem. Next year I hope to buy with papers. I see you run registered longhorns so I guess my main concern I'd like to ask from someone who has experience in this is> Will it be worth the time or can it be a pain the the a-double when time is limited? I never have run any kind of registered stock not even the horses so I don't know w thing about it. From all the research I have been doing it seems to be somewhat mind boggling with the rules and epd's, etc.
Thanks
bif

The "pros" to registering the animals in your herd would be that you'd have a good set of EPD's to use in your own breeding program, your breed association will keep you updated on new and exciting things that are going on with the Angus breed. If your goal is to breed seed stock and sell replacements, you should probably register them. If your breeding terminal crosses and primarily selling through an auction barn, it's probably a waste of time to keep up with the paperwork involved.

Most of the breed associations now allow registering online, which saves a LOT of time, and is relatively easy to do.

One thing you might think about doing is running a split herd. Get a good bull with papers to run on the cows you've got already and sell the calves for beef. Then buy reg. cows as you can afford to,( still using the same bull ) raising replacement heifers and slowly turn your herd over to all registered stock as you sell off the older cows from your original herd. That would allow you to get a "feel" for how much paper work will have to be done on the registered herd without spending a large chunk of money going with Reg. stock at first.

Quite a few people have a small Reg. herd and a larger commerical herd and like it like that.

;-)

I agree with TLC. Also, then if you decide that the registered cattle is your business of choice, you can start doing ET, and will have your stock cows as donor cows, so you will know their production record.

buckaroo_bif":2v2j1mhs said:
Thanks Bill, They will be all black angus. The few heifers I have bought so far are not registered which will be a problem. Next year I hope to buy with papers. I see you run registered longhorns so I guess my main concern I'd like to ask from someone who has experience in this is> Will it be worth the time or can it be a pain the the a-double when time is limited? I never have run any kind of registered stock not even the horses so I don't know w thing about it. From all the research I have been doing it seems to be somewhat mind boggling with the rules and epd's, etc.
Thanks
bif

I can't speak for the exact process and/or red tape involved with other breeds: such as EPD data, e.g. However, in our registered Longhorn operation it is extremely easy to register an animal:

1. Have registration paperwork on sire & dam.
2. Brand calf with your ranch brand & P/H number.
3. Fill out a one page registration form (owner of sire/dam signs--which is you if you are breeding your own herd).
4. Send form into the association with a $15. or so fee.
5. Wait 6-8 weeks for certificate to come back to you.

Some possible registration glitches: If YOU are not owner of the sire and/or dam, then the owner of the dam (and/or bull as needed) at time of breeding needs to sign the regis. application form.

Biggest problem in Longhorn registration process: Too many breeders are remiss and negligent and lack the motivation to process registration paperwork and/or ownership transfer papers to a new owner. Considering it only takes about 15 minutes of paperwork at most in majority of cases and pocket change in $$, I feel such glitches are totally remiss on those who "don't do paperwork promptly"! To me, this is part of the total sale package and customer service and goodwill!

Thanks folks! :D
I like the split herd idea the best I figer on buying a small number of bred heifers each fall (Black Angus!) and building the herd slowly. I can make decisions each year considerig market prices at the time as to whether to buy registered or not. Hopefully in 10 years or so I'll have a total of 200 head or so.
bif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One thing you might think about doing is running a split herd. Get a good bull with papers to run on the cows you've got already and sell the calves for beef. Then buy reg. cows as you can afford to,( still using the same bull ) raising replacement heifers and slowly turn your herd over to all registered stock as you sell off the older cows from your original herd. That would allow you to get a "feel" for how much paper work will have to be done on the registered herd without spending a large chunk of money going with Reg. stock at first.

Quite a few people have a small Reg. herd and a larger commerical herd and like it like that.

Excellant advice. This is exactly how I eased into the reg stock arena and the paperwork and extra pencil pushing that comes with it. ( which I enjoy )

I also kept my best unregistered stock and bred up and their heifers are now the best of my entire herd. A pleasant surprise.

those who "don't do paperwork promptly"! To me, this is part of the total sale package and customer service and goodwill!

Nothing I hate to hear more, than an owner of a horse/dog/cow/bull/heifer/llama etc, that says " the breeder never sent me any paperwork after months/years of asking for it."
There is NOTHING that eliminates repeat sales more than bad customer service.

No cows are sold here until ALL their paperwork /reg papers sit in the herd book complete with current photo, medical papers and journal notes.
The day the new owner comes, we sit on the tailgate of my truck and exhange his/her check for a nice binder full of the cows info and paperwork. I also give them a container of maple syrup, a TailGait Farm Simmental hat and my private e mail address so they can contact me at any time with any questions. I also agree to have first refusal on the animal at any time in the future, should they find themselves in a financial bind and have to sell their cattle. ( it can happen.. )
I have good genetics and don't want them to wind up in a sleezy salebarn or hamburger, because someone can't pay their heating or electric bill.

Even my unregistered stock come with a complete package and a "framamble" Transfer of Ownership document that I made with Microsoft Publisher in about 10 minutes.

I also won't purchase any stock unless all the paperwork is in order and I can review it. Many years ago, when I was young and naive 4H'er, I spent some VERY hard earned cash on an animal that had paperwork that never came. I was unable to show that animal or breed that animal, had a hard time selling that animal and the whole experience was horrible and very expensive.

CowCop

TailGait Farm

In the Red Angus Association of America we do Total herd reporting. ANNUAL THR ASSESSMENTS On Females 16 mos. of age or Bulls 30 mos. of age and older
Category 1A, 1B & II 15.00
Category III 13.50

once the THR (Total Herd Reporting) assessement has been paid on the dam then you are entitled to register her calf and transfer her calf at side free of charge

Animals under 24 months can be transferred at no charge the first time they are transferred. Otherwise $9 for 60 days after purchase $1 in addition each month thereafter.

Paperwork--easy enough on the computer, but time is involved.

buckaroo_bif":hng78afz said:
I have run stocker cattle a number of years and am soon getting into running a cow calf herd. (more grass now) I am going to run black angus and am considering whether or not it is worth the time and expense to register them. I also run a hay business and farm a large acerage of wheat so time is also a big factor during breeding season. During calving season the extra time may not be a problem.
Thanks
bif

Honestly, if you don't have time for a strong AI program, you might be as well off with not registering them. Here in Oklahoma, there's a good market for straightbred Angus cattle. We attend the Oklahoma Cattlemen's "fall cattle drive" sale (I think that's what they call it) and straightbred Angus heifers will generally be the top sellers. They also sell commercial heifers at the fall OBI sale at Stillwater. Angus heifers do well there, too.

On the other hand, membership in the American Angus Association is only about $35, if you don't subscribe to the Angus Journal. Registration costs are $7 per calf if you register them under four months old. But good records are also a must. Good luck....

Latest posts