Registered?

Help Support CattleToday:

auctionboy

Reaction score
Hi. If you inseminate a cow with an egg of a registered cow and registered semen can you register the offspring?

auctionboy":2qrh6vsi said:
Hi. If you inseminate a cow with an egg of a registered cow and registered semen can you register the offspring?

Yes, if the egg is from properly registered parents and if you follow all the rules from your breed association.

has anyone started a registered herd this way? That is not for me I'm just looking for good genetics. I looked up ET's on the net and figure for $150 I can get some nice genetics that are alot better then mine. I guess It's of to the auction to get a $200 cow, probably Jersey, should raise a big calf. Are there any draw backs besides auction calf health? If in if I have to do it twice I can still get a herd sire.

I would whoa up a bit before truckin down for that Jersey! You may wanna do a Search for "embryo transplant", lottsa good discussion on it already in here.

Those pockets may need to be a little deeper!

Good Luck

are you just planning on throwing the embryo in there and hope for the best?

you will need an ET tech/vet to thaw and implant the embryo...

auctionboy":3d78n54i said:
has anyone started a registered herd this way? That is not for me I'm just looking for good genetics.

Never used ET's, but we started our registered herd using AI. You may want to give it some thought, also.

I did alot of research after my last post and I think if your just starting out this would be a good way to go. It would also pay for it's self quick. I read about vet costs and it is still cheaper then going out and buying a $2000 cow. Of course you would already have that cow and 1 year up on calfing if you bought a nice cow, but with ET you have a bigger poll of genetics to pick from. I just think it is actually a cheaper way to go.

auctionboy":3pp7fqu5 said:
but with ET you have a bigger poll of genetics to pick from. I just think it is actually a cheaper way to go.

Whatever you think.

auctionboy":kdtrtj5t said:
I did alot of research after my last post and I think if your just starting out this would be a good way to go. It would also pay for it's self quick. I read about vet costs and it is still cheaper then going out and buying a $2000 cow. Of course you would already have that cow and 1 year up on calfing if you bought a nice cow, but with ET you have a bigger poll of genetics to pick from. I just think it is actually a cheaper way to go.

Your time is worth something. If the embryo takes, it will take a year for gestation, you might get a bull instead of a heifer, then, if you get a heifer, it's another two years before she calves and probably a year before you can sell the calf as a yearling. And all that's if she's a breeder. On the other hand you can probably buy a good, experienced, proven breeder, Angus cow for $2,000. Whatever you think will work best for you.

auctionboy":1xlu89gb said:

All right - let's talk a bit about this.

It sounds like you want to go registered. I would like you to give me all the reasons you want to do this. And remember, unless you plan to go seed stocking - your product is not worth a penny more than a slaughter animal just because they have a piece of paper attached to them.

Then, I would like you to remember the embryo does not always take.

I would also remind you that just because it is an embryo does not mean it will be a quality animal. In fact you stand just as big a chance in NOT having a quality animal as if you were to buy a registered animal and AI it.

Excellent genetics all around do not always a good animal make.

So, when you get this embryo on the ground as a bull calf - what are your plans? What if he is a lined backed, hunch backed animal? You going to nut him and sell him, or do you plan to try and sell him as a breeder?

Every time I see and hear this type of discussion I always remember that there are some animals out there that have literaly thousands of progeny - and none ever made it to the next stud book.

In my opinion - if one is starting out, one should ignore the registration game - it will eat you up and spit you out. Instead one should enter into the high quality commercial game. There is as much and maybe more money to be made for the beginner here - and it certainly still allows the opportunity to reach out to all of those good genetics that can be found in a nitrogen tank.

If you truly want to go registered -and yes I am against a young person doing this unless they have substantial backing from someone because usually that person will not have the financial capability to promote the animal - it can be done.

Ever notice all those young folk who get on here with their registered animals? Most of them - not all - but most of them - get their money from some place other than the bank. Usually a mom or a dad - with deep pockets. It is friggin expensive! Your idea might start you with an animal on the ground - but who backs you for the promotion aspects?

Go find your embryo - or as many as you can afford - and plan on losing about 50% of them. Find your recip animal and have at.

Not the way I would do it, but if you are determined I would say go for it.

Better to buy one good one with calf at side and one in the oven - you at least know what you have to start out with. What if you have a couple of wrecks? You might lose an entire year - are you up for that?

I am assuming you are looking at Angus, as there are precious few other breeds that seem to appeal to the younger generation.

But what do I know? I am just a dumb old fat guy.

Good luck on whichever path you take. Just be ready to pay the price in event of a wreck.

Do not forget my opening question! I am interested in your answers.

Bez!

We don't care anything about having registered cows. I just want to produce a good healthy strong calf to sell for slaughter to put $$$ in my college fund. :hat: :p Or truck fund...... :)

Good post Bez! Can not beat the three in one purchase in my opinion. Rather it is commercial or registered you are looking for.

Bez

This pot belly says you are right on! You can raise cattle for seed and show only if you inherited a batch of dough or were an Enron Executive.

Caustic has it pegged too. Hamburger by any other name is Hamburger.
I'm appreciative of the fact that some can play the genetics game to improve various production goals but in the end its still hamburger for those who raise for profit (even if a paultry amount).

I'll see your genetic pool and raise you two natural selections!

Jay

Bez!
I am more of a commercial type guy, but if just done on 1 or 2 cows in a herd of twenty like mine it could help out. Most people on here say if they started over they would spend more per cow on seed stock and buy less animals. If everybody thought that there calves would come out hunchbacked... and was that pessimistic no body would have any cattle. As for registered I couldn't sell 100 a year, but here in WNY I could sell a lot off papers and epd's. That is not the way I buy, but a lot of people do. I wouldn't mind it being a heifer I'm just getting started and that would be good. If I had to steer the calf I don't think I would loose any money unless it were a dwarf. I won't buy just any embryo, but most of what I have seen online is a lot better then what I have. I typed earlier that I relized I would be setting myself back a few years, then If I bought a breed cow, or three in one. One shouldn't figure everyone new is young, stupid, and inexperienced.

auctionboy":1pn15hdz said:
Most people on here say if they started over they would spend more per cow on seed stock and buy less animals.
This means buying better bulls and higher quality cows. Seedstock for me could be 10 tigerstripe bred heifers. The above statement, if made by most cattlemen, are not referring to ET.

As for registered I couldn't sell 100 a year, but here in WNY I could sell a lot off papers and epd's. That is not the way I buy, but a lot of people do.
I think you would be surprised how many you will eventually sell as hamburger. Do you realize the % bull calves castrated that high quality seedstock producers have as opposed to what they offer to sell?

I won't buy just any embryo, but most of what I have seen online is a lot better then what I have.
You need better cows.

One shouldn't figure everyone new is young, stupid, and inexperienced.
One doesn't, but making some of the statements that you've made have led me to believe that maybe you need to do a little more research.

I would'nt waste my money on ET calves their is a guy hear who does that at his bull sale last year you could have bought Bulls from his ET program for $1500 each his bull bred sired calves brought more money.I would find a commercial ranch in your area and see if they have any cows for sale or heifers.Make sure this Ranch makes its money from cows and not a town job or an oil well.The guys who reley solely on their cows to pay ALL their bills are true cattlemen and don't make excuses for poor doing cattle.

auctionboy":20j40ty0 said:
has anyone started a registered herd this way? That is not for me I'm just looking for good genetics. I looked up ET's on the net and figure for $150 I can get some nice genetics that are alot better then mine. I guess It's of to the auction to get a $200 cow, probably Jersey, should raise a big calf. Are there any draw backs besides auction calf health? If in if I have to do it twice I can still get a herd sire.

There might be some good embryos out there for $150.00 I am not sure about his. But I would think you should not be thinking embryo's unless you are looking at ones that cost way more than that. Meaning it is a game to be played by the big boys. And you are not going to get an embryo out of a known cow or Bull for those prices.

And it is not as simple as just grabbing your cow and sticking it in, there is a lot of work getting the cow ready.

I say unless you are raising show animals, or high dollar registered stock, just stick to buying quality live animals. You will get there eventually.

ET is not for the faint of heart or wallet!! That said, we started doing some ET last year for the first time. First group of eggs is due next month. A starting point might be to buy an already pregnant recip with the mating you're looking for. If the embryo is far enough along, you can also get them sexed. This would eliminate some of the risk(expense).

Latest posts