Registered?

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm really glad to see somebody thinking outside the box. ET made me. I wasn't part of a ranching dynasty or even a tradition. I had to do it all on my own. commercial cows made me some money, i bought low and sold high and went back to college to learn about the ET business. Now I am a huge proponent of ET. It will change the industry. It is just becoming more widespread every year. As for the other advice given on here it is good sound advice from people that have seen many people ingnorantly throw money all over in a windstorm. 3 in 1's aren't a bad route. I personally would do things a little differently than them. If you already have 20 head and want to phase into purebred stock i think a sound and educated ET program is exactly how to do it.

feel free to pm me and we can exchange more specifics on how what when and why.

auctionboy":9cazphzz said:
has anyone started a registered herd this way? That is not for me I'm just looking for good genetics. I looked up ET's on the net and figure for $150 I can get some nice genetics that are alot better then mine. I guess It's of to the auction to get a $200 cow, probably Jersey, should raise a big calf. Are there any draw backs besides auction calf health? If in if I have to do it twice I can still get a herd sire.
==========
You may wish to red and re-read Bezs' advice. It is right on.

In addition.....to emphasize a point....it will take you 24 months (est) to get a breeding bull. During that period you can harvest right at 3 calves from a 3 in 1 purchase ...at $650.00 per=$1,950....less keep.

What did you say... $2,000. is too much to pay for a bull?...which can breed 40 cows annually for ...oh...8 years!

Do the numbers. You will find that buying the bull puts you way ahead because of having top genetics in your annual calves.(if you are looking at one cow...whole different ballgame)

Just some thoughts for you to ponder.

If you don't want to buy anymore cows ET is the only way to get new genetics on both sides. If you don't like your cows at all, or want to change breeds in only one year this is the only way to do it, without selling out. My cows are very poor, I don't want there genetics at all, so for me it is something interesting to think about. thank you beef11 for backing me up. Some people would like to raiae there own bulls out of there herd this way prevents imbreding. It would take longer, I realize that, but if you did it twice every two years you would have two bulls to choose from and the time wouldn't really matter if you already had a bull. These would be used for cross breeding with mostly black calves, and hereford cattle. Also would be interested in some Shorthorn genetics.

Latest posts