Registered vs. Unregistered

Help Support CattleToday:

That's a great post F.S.R. Been trying to talk my wife into selling all the black cows and buy Charolais. We have put alot of effort into Angus cows, but there's no future in registered stock for us that I can see.

I would suggest starting out with commercial cows but a registered bull. Buying bred cows or 3 in 1s you get a variety of genetics to start with. Then after a couple years buy one or two registered cows and heifers breed to your registered bull and retain the best heifers to build a registered herd while you have the commercoial calves to sell to pay some bills. Just an idea. I am building a registered group this way but really not sure why other than to see if there is any benefit in registered "pure" stock. As anything in cattle it takes years to see results of your plan whatever it is.

Good luck

Jim

SRBeef":3n2jwxh1 said:
I would suggest starting out with commercial cows but a registered bull. Buying bred cows or 3 in 1s you get a variety of genetics to start with. Then after a couple years buy one or two registered cows and heifers breed to your registered bull and retain the best heifers to build a registered herd while you have the commercoial calves to sell to pay some bills. Just an idea. I am building a registered group this way but really not sure why other than to see if there is any benefit in registered "pure" stock. As anything in cattle it takes years to see results of your plan whatever it is.

Good luck

Jim

Jim,
thats good advice right there. It's exactly what my Dad did years ago when we started out, then when I took over, I basically did the same thing, just went a different road on the breed.

Caustic Burno":267m8n6p said:
TexasBred":267m8n6p said:
backhoeboogie":267m8n6p said:
You have horse traders on both sides. Beware.

Absolutely and politics out the gazoo. Go with some good commercial cattle, run a good bull and enjoy your cattle.

You are also playing a money game with the big boy's.
I ran a registered herd for year's until the drought. The average person entering the seedstock biz last 7 or 8 year's.
It takes time to build a reputation, you are selling your name as well as your cattle. IMO it take's at least 30 momma cow's to make a dime in the registered biz. You should be only selling the best 20% as seedstock. The other 80% are salebarn bound and will never mash the scales like a crossbred calf.

When I got the pasture today the neighbor's angus bull was just jumping out and heading home. Went over the lane fences like a deer jumping. How many of my purebred brangus has that bull tainted over the last two years or how many have the previous bull tainted?

If I had Papered Momma's, aint no way I could ever sell offspring as pure with such going ons as I have experienced.

Latest posts