Registered vs. Non-Registered

Help Support CattleToday:

an most people dont care how much they spend on cattle.
no! no! no! that is just not true! there is an old saying that goes something like this:

"cattle bought right are cattle half sold"

that has never been more true than it is today. being a hobbyist or registered breeder and buying cattle right are not things that necessarily have to be mutually exclusive.

it doesn't matter if you're buying cattle to graze, cattle to feed, or registered cattle, you need to pay attention to the cost of those cattle going in. you doom yourself to failure by doing otherwise.

I'd have to disagree with some of these comments. Don't let anyone tell you that you have to cut a certain percentage of your bulls. Especially if they've never seen your herd. All bull buyers are different. Some want tall bulls, some want short bulls, some want calving ease, some want cheap. And some of them don't know what they want until they see him.

We've been raising Angus for awhile and we don't cut any of our bulls. Not all of them are sold as registered animals, but we try to keep the contemporary group together through testing. It's not a cheap method; taking a bull to the sale barn when you've got several hundred dollars in him for testing hurts. All of our cows are generations deep in performance cattle. I expect every bull born here to perform well. They don't, of course, but I have hope for every one and will give him the opportunity to perform up to his potential.

But if you get a reputation for selling cheap bulls, it may be difficult to ever charge more, no matter how good your cattle get. Good luck....

Frankie":2tn7x6gd said:
I'd have to disagree with some of these comments. Don't let anyone tell you that you have to cut a certain percentage of your bulls. Especially if they've never seen your herd. All bull buyers are different. Some want tall bulls, some want short bulls, some want calving ease, some want cheap. And some of them don't know what they want until they see him.

We've been raising Angus for awhile and we don't cut any of our bulls. Not all of them are sold as registered animals, but we try to keep the contemporary group together through testing. It's not a cheap method; taking a bull to the sale barn when you've got several hundred dollars in him for testing hurts. All of our cows are generations deep in performance cattle. I expect every bull born here to perform well. They don't, of course, but I have hope for every one and will give him the opportunity to perform up to his potential.

But if you get a reputation for selling cheap bulls, it may be difficult to ever charge more, no matter how good your cattle get. Good luck....

Very valid points you made Frankie.

Can someone explain, if you want to sell registered stock, why you wouldn't just do AI from the world's best bulls? Seems like you'd get much better quality and for just 3 cows this person started with, seems like it'd be cheaper than feeding a bull all year (and dealing with the damage he causes).

Latest posts