Registered vs Commercial

Help Support CattleToday:

willow bottom

Reaction score
What's everyone's take on running registered cattle? I'm a commercial man myself, but thinking of adding a small registered heard to market F1 heifers. Pros and Cons?

Gonna be a big startup cost,just to produce a commercial animal..good registered females gonna get deep into your pocket..sorta like you'd be making one step forward, and two back...

The registered cow game is very time consuming if your going to market and sell them. We started out playing that game with Angus then went Simmental and now we're all commercial. We sell most of our steers to a feed lot, and our heifers off the farm or at specialty - replacement sales. I'm not sure if selling that way is worth the hassle and time either. I keep thinking about how easy it would be to just call the sale barn and have them send a truck, trailer and a couple of guys to pick up a load up every time I'm ready to sell and mail the check.

There's a good market for quaility replacements...could make it work just as good AI'ing or spending your money on a good moma maker bull..using your commercial females..

willow bottom":3ls8pmog said:
What's everyone's take on running registered cattle? I'm a commercial man myself, but thinking of adding a small registered heard to market F1 heifers. Pros and Cons?
How do you define "a small registered" herd? How many do you run now?

Lots of questions there. If your just gonna cross a good bull will make it work.
I started with commercial, have swapped to all purebred, except for some recips, I looked at it as I have 2 different markets that way. It didn't cost me alot just picked up a cow here and there, bred em up with AI till I think I've got a few good cows. Still haul the ones not making the cut to the sale barn, but a few I do get a premium. Probably a 15 yr process but I was in no hurry.

bse":ddn54dhh said:
Lots of questions there. If your just gonna cross a good bull will make it work.
I started with commercial, have swapped to all purebred, except for some recips, I looked at it as I have 2 different markets that way. It didn't cost me alot just picked up a cow here and there, bred em up with AI till I think I've got a few good cows. Still haul the ones not making the cut to the sale barn, but a few I do get a premium. Probably a 15 yr process but I was in no hurry.
We're not all blessed with your patience and knowledge in breeding cattle. Have you retired yet?

In my area if you are going to sell bulls most everyone wants a registered animal that allows them to see some EPD numbers and history on the animal.

As far as females go I'm not sure you will have as much demand for the registered heifers. Although the premium you receive for them might allow you to make some extra cash. Just have to make sure there is a demand for them and they are good.

A good BWF heifer tends to sell as quick as anything here and for good reason. Some of our best cows are Hereford X Angus.

kentuckyguy":1j58u0p8 said:
In my area if you are going to sell bulls most everyone wants a registered animal that allows them to see some EPD numbers and history on the animal.

As far as females go I'm not sure you will have as much demand for the registered heifers. Although the premium you receive for them might allow you to make some extra cash. Just have to make sure there is a demand for them and they are good.

A good BWF heifer tends to sell as quick as anything here and for good reason. Some of our best cows are Hereford X Angus.
The problem with selling anything to the public is the animal needs to be well to overly conditioned and look sorta groomed. At the sale barn the animal only needs to look decent.

True Grit Farms":2kvedah5 said:
kentuckyguy":2kvedah5 said:

The problem with selling anything to the public is the animal needs to be well to overly conditioned and look sorta groomed. At the sale barn the animal only needs to look decent.
i havent retired yet, keep waitn om em to make me mad!!!!!! if I do ill just cut more hay:)

willow bottom":h8uwfqj2 said:

As others have said, why do you need registered cattle to make F1s?

Where are you located? Why kind of F1s are you wanting to produce?

PB cattle sales are different than commercial. You need to build a reputation to sell quality PB. You "should" get more money, but some of that extra money is offset by more expenses (advertising, registration costs, etc).
You can easily get into registered cattle using breeds that allow you to upgrade (like the Simmental).
My heifer sales range from $1800 to $8000 - depending on quality and quantity. But, I have invested 50 years and have somewhat of a good reputation. Bull market is not big here in NY like it is in KY.
But, steers (which is basically 1/2 your calf crop) is worth the same as the next guy - paid by the pound.
Bottom line, most Registered cattle are worth more, but require more "homework". So, depending on your marketing skills, it can be extremely cost effective - or not.

Latest posts