registered vs. commercial ?s

Help Support CattleToday:

Brandonm2":fndnltna said:
I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Talk about WHAT you are going to do, map it out, plan it out, brain storm, strategize it, ask questions, read, research, visit other farms, talk to breeders, go to fairs, subscribe to breed Magaizines, join your state cattlemen's association, ponder, and PRAY on it before you do anything. You are not going to lose money sitting on the sidelines. Once you spend your money and get IN THE GAME that is where people can and do get hurt, so you had better have a plan before you do anything.

That describes what we are doing almost perfectly, with the praying being the most important. It seems about every week we learn something makes us look at things differently. We are now thinking leasing land would be much safer and we could get a lot more land, like maybe 150-200 acres.

tncattle":qvxsxpu1 said:
It seems about every week we learn something makes us look at things differently.

I don't know that that will ever stop. :lol:

Leasing costs money, better have your margins figured pretty close. Most that lease up here are cash crop, and they lease/rent thousands of acres a a time to make it pay.

You seem to be in a hurry to get "big", don't be until you have what it takes between your ears to make it work. Start at a manageable size and go from there. You go too big too fast the cattle business will eat you alive and spit you out, no mercy.

ALX

Tn, you have already done the hard part. You've found 60 acres at 60% of it's actuall value. If you part of Tn is like SC you will make 200K the day you close on the farm. The cows can help make the note until you harvest the land. Good luck.

tncattle -- glad to see someone else pondering over the same decision as much as I am. I live in Upstate SC and have roughly 80 acres that is not all converted to pasture yet. I have 13 commercial cattle to date and am trying to decide on whether to go reg or not. It is not an easy decision -- money time etc. I have gotten great advice but like you take it all with a grain of salt. You have to do what you feel comfortable with and have in mind that you raise cattle because you love it and not for the money alone! It makes working with them all the more satisfying. I went with Santa Gertrudis because I like them. They may not bring as much at the sale barn, but I like looking at them better than angus. Do what makes you and your spouse excited to work the farm. GOOD LUCK!

tncattle-

When I read your original post on this thread, I decided to NOT reply to your request, because it would have taken several weeks of writing to get your "awareness levels" to a point that you would be able to clearly understand what you are getting into.

But, after giving it some thought, I realize that this Forum is designed for the purpose of helping people in the Beef Cattle Business, and because I feel obligated to be as much help as I can to anyone who seeks information, I am offering this advice to help you with your decisions.

The most important constituent or ingredient in the "Formula for Success" which you MUST have in order to NOT fail in your efforts to have a profitable Beef Cattle operation is KNOWLEDGE! The next most important factor is KNOWLEDGE! The several necessary factors which follow those first two can be thrown in in no particular order, BUT Size of land operation, Capital, Experience, Abilities and on, and on, and on in that line of thinking enter into the discussion.

That being said, unless you have an abundance of ALL of the above necessary features, my suggestion to you would be to enter into the action as a Hobby, and get your feet wet. But NOT with a registered program, but using the BEST Registered BULL you can afford and acquire the best COWS (NOT calves, heifers or even first-calf heifers) for your beginning BU$INE$$ venture.

If you are curious about why I suggest the above thoughts, you are NOT prepared mentally ( educationally or psychologically) to be investing your valuable time and resources in this EXTREMELY TECHNICAL and DEMANDING PROFESSION!

I recommend a less difficult business - such as Space Travel, or Dabbling in the Stock Market!

Sorry if I am not more encouraging!

DOC HARRIS

Txwalt":1ken6tmp said:
Do you have someone that is or can mentor you?

Walt

Yes, this summer I'm volunteering free labor to a man that has 150 registered Black Angus and has been in the cattle business about 30 years. I've only worked with him twice so far because of my other job but I have the entire summer off. He is willing to let me tag along whenever I can.

DOC HARRIS":2j40qe09 said:
tncattle-

When I read your original post on this thread, I decided to NOT reply to your request, because it would have taken several weeks of writing to get your "awareness levels" to a point that you would be able to clearly understand what you are getting into.

But, after giving it some thought, I realize that this Forum is designed for the purpose of helping people in the Beef Cattle Business, and because I feel obligated to be as much help as I can to anyone who seeks information, I am offering this advice to help you with your decisions.

The most important constituent or ingredient in the "Formula for Success" which you MUST have in order to NOT fail in your efforts to have a profitable Beef Cattle operation is KNOWLEDGE! The next most important factor is KNOWLEDGE The several necessary factors which follow those first two can be thrown in in no particular order, BUT Size of land operation, Capital, Experience, Abilities and on, and on, and on in that line of thinking enter into the discussion.

That being said, unless you have an abundance of ALL of the above necessary features, my suggestion to you would be to enter into the action as a Hobby, and get your feet wet. But NOT with a registered program, but using the BEST Registered BULL you can afford and acquire the best COWS (NOT calves, heifers or even first-calf heifers) for your beginning BU$INE$$ venture.

If you are curious about why I suggest the above thoughts, you are NOT prepared mentally ( educationally or psychologically) to be investing your valuable time and resources in this EXTREMELY TECHNICAL and DEMANDING PROFESSION!

I recommend a less difficult business - such as Space Travel, or Dabbling in the Stock Market!

Sorry if I am not more encouraging!

DOC HARRIS

Yes! how did you know? If the cattle thing doesn't work I'm off to building rockets and be the first to Mars and maybe I'll take a cow with me. :p

Just a small bit of advice, but keep in mind that no matter what kind of cows you buy, your calves will only be as good as the bull you use on them. In other words, DON'T SCRIMP ON THE BULL!!! That's not the place to try to save $$$.
Also, you may want to check into Graham School for Cattlemen, in Kansas. They cram a lot of knowledge in a short period of time and provide hands on learning.
Good luck~

tncattle":7jsupjn3 said:
Thanks for your kind words and support. Please show me in any of my past posts where I said I was intent on being a registered breeder. :D

well as Bez said: http://cattletoday.com/forum/search.php ... 72&start=1

it is obvious to everyone reading that your intent is to get in the registered business. i could be wrong, but i doubt it on this one.

why do most people get in the registered business? 1) because it looks cool, and 2) because they see some rare breeder making a killing off of his registered animals.

who should be in the registered/purebred business? experienced breeders who want to make superior breeding stock to improve either a breed or their customer's bottom line. by superior breeding stock, i mean animals that produce excellent calves consistently and predictably for their intended endpoint. this endpoint could be on the grid or at the salebarn or making great females.

do you think you are ready to do any of that?

if you just want to have registered animals because you think it looks fun or prestigous or cool, just say that and few will have any problem with it. just dont pretend you are trying to make a decision about which will make you the most money. probably in the next 10 years, you might have 3 or 4 years of making a little money in the commercial world. if you start with registered animals to be a breeder you will likely not have a single dollar made in 10 years.

btw, i am not encouraging you to get started now; that seems like the worst plan unless you take it on as a hobby and buy 1 or 2 cows to play with. this still might be too much risk and unsafe for the animals.

i am not trying to discourage you, but just be open about your motivations. if you were just trying to make some money, get a second job or teach summer school. the $2000 you get for it will dwarf your farm profits.

Aero":2dixz7s1 said:
tncattle":2dixz7s1 said:
Thanks for your kind words and support. Please show me in any of my past posts where I said I was intent on being a registered breeder. :D

well as Bez said: http://cattletoday.com/forum/search.php ... 72&start=1

it is obvious to everyone reading that your intent is to get in the registered business. i could be wrong, but i doubt it on this one.

why do most people get in the registered business? 1) because it looks cool, and 2) because they see some rare breeder making a killing off of his registered animals.

who should be in the registered/purebred business? experienced breeders who want to make superior breeding stock to improve either a breed or their customer's bottom line. by superior breeding stock, i mean animals that produce excellent calves consistently and predictably for their intended endpoint. this endpoint could be on the grid or at the salebarn or making great females.

do you think you are ready to do any of that?

if you just want to have registered animals because you think it looks fun or prestigous or cool, just say that and few will have any problem with it. just dont pretend you are trying to make a decision about which will make you the most money. probably in the next 10 years, you might have 3 or 4 years of making a little money in the commercial world. if you start with registered animals to be a breeder you will likely not have a single dollar made in 10 years.

btw, i am not encouraging you to get started now; that seems like the worst plan unless you take it on as a hobby and buy 1 or 2 cows to play with. this still might be too much risk and unsafe for the animals.

i am not trying to discourage you, but just be open about your motivations. if you were just trying to make some money, get a second job or teach summer school. the $2000 you get for it will dwarf your farm profits.

I guess it's pointless discussing this with you because you think that you have me all figured out. I'm not trying to win this but you simply are wrong on my thought process. Trying to discern what truly motivates someone from a few short posts on the net is like finding the proverbial needle in the giant haystack. :roll:

Latest posts