Registered Holstein

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
Does anyone know why registered Holsteins are fetching big money now. I just saw a 10 day old Heiffer bring $750.00. If that is the case I think I will start raising Holsteins. What are your thoughts?

lancemart":35c3dt6v said:
Does anyone know why registered Holsteins are fetching big money now. I just saw a 10 day old Heiffer bring $750.00. If that is the case I think I will start raising Holsteins. What are your thoughts?

It has been like that for several years now.

Don;t even have to be registered. Grade with no records behind them bring 500 and up, with DHIA records on the dam and a known sire they'll bring more. The price on dairy heifers tanked a while back because the price of milk was a or below the cost of production. Now milk is back up and anything that milks is worth pretty big bucks.

They have an ad in the Mid America Farmer/Grower for 5 holstein heifers to calve in Aug/Sept.

I was surprised to see it because the dairys around here keep all their heifers and I imagine they want a pretty penny for these.

I garuntee you wont find anybody around my area paying that much a danged ol 10 day old heifer. Theres no way. Had to be a catch to this. 3day-2week old dairy cattle go for about 100-150 a head round here.

dun":15f579gr said:
Don;t even have to be registered. Grade with no records behind them bring 500 and up, with DHIA records on the dam and a known sire they'll bring more. The price on dairy heifers tanked a while back because the price of milk was a or below the cost of production. Now milk is back up and anything that milks is worth pretty big bucks.

When I had my dairy sale in 1993, my top selling three week old registered holstein calf went for 1,200.00 and my top selling grade calf, one month old went for 1,000.00 Both were nice calves out of my best cow families. The 1,200 calf went on to milk over 35,000 lbs in a year and was classified 2E 90. :D

lancemart":1ceyml79 said:

Have mercy. Had no idea me little cupcake be such a valuable animal. She be purebred Holstein, 2 years old on the 4th of July and bred ta calve in mid august.Guess I shoulda AI'ed her ta some hipower Holstein bull insteada breedin her ta my char x angus bull. Maybe next round 8)

Rookie":1fl38mjt said:
lancemart":1fl38mjt said:

Have mercy. Had no idea me little cupcake be such a valuable animal. She be purebred Holstein, 2 years old on the 4th of July and bred ta calve in mid august.Guess I shoulda AI'ed her ta some hipower Holstein bull insteada breedin her ta my char x angus bull. Maybe next round 8)

Buy yourself some split calves from the sale barn and let her nurse them too.

Latest posts