Registered Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Fleming Farms

Reaction score
Please help just bought a few registered angus cattle and my first calf was just born and I haven't a clue as to how to start a tatoo numbering system. How do you keep from having two different animals from different owners with the same number. Or does this even matter.

Contact the angus associaiton. You'll have to be a member to register the calves and the registering process will be covered in the members manual

Fleming Farms":1tvkbzbv said:
Please help just bought a few registered angus cattle and my first calf was just born and I haven't a clue as to how to start a tatoo numbering system. How do you keep from having two different animals from different owners with the same number. Or does this even matter.

I tattoo mine with my prefix on top and their number and year underneath .. Ex. first calf born this year was < HDG >
........................................................................................................................................< 1Y >

Then on the tag itself is the dam's # and below it the sires # Make sure you keep meticulous records as well . ;-)

duplicate #s from different owners dont matter just make whatever system you want. Angus assoc has a letter for each yr not a must i use the letter E for my inital and the yr born is last # everything 2011 ends in 1 and i dont tatoo to early because everything doesnt make the cut so i dont waste my time on something going to the sale barn.

When you registered as a breeder with the breed society they will allocate a tattoo prefix unique to your herd. You can usually choose it and make it similar to your farm name or your name eg mine is my initials of my name. Each registery usually has slightly different tattooing requirements which they will tell you about. They usually require the calf to be tattooed with your herd prefix, the grade of the animal eg f for fullblood, p for purebred, letters or numbers for appendix animals. There is then usually a letter for the year of birth (are we up to g this year?) and then your own number system which gives that animal a number unique to it in your herd. It can be as simple as starting from one eg. G1 G2 G3 and so on. You can make bull calves odd numbers and heifers even. You can number them with the year then a number eg 1101 (first calf born in 2011). Its just personal preference. Regarding double ups, you may have a W41 and the neighbour may have a W41 but they will have different herd prefix tattoos. When naming them you can choose any name, you can use their mothers name or you can incorporate both sire and dam name. Oh also with tattooing some breed registeries require tattooing in a certain ear.

We have registered Angus. Spring calves start 1 (for the year 2011) and then 01, 02, etc.
Fall born start with 1 like this years spring but then 51,52

THerefore spring this year are 101,102,103 etc
Fall are 151,152,153 etc.

We use small white tags for Registered and small yellow for xbreeds ( these are easy to see, not to big for calves ears and easy to know if there's a new one when you don't see a tag) Color coding also helps keep the vet from cutting the wrong calves LOL ... DOc liked that idea.

We put date born, calf number, at bottom dam's number. (Everything is put in a book as well, but some info on a tag is handy if mom and calf get seperated or you just wonder who the dam is)

Use any system that makes it easy for you. WE change the tags to factory printed at weaning. Lt Blue for Registered and Lt Green for bulls. Heifers of either receive 2 tags, one in each ear... just in case.

Valerie