Registered Angus Question

Help Support CattleToday:

KYFarmKid

Reaction score
I have been farming commercial beef cattle with my dad for several years. I have thinking about slowly starting my own registered angus herd for the last couple years now. As I get closer to doing this I am making sure I have a solid plan in place so that I can be successful. I have done some reading and talked to local producers on the best way to start out. I feel that I have a good plan an place and now I am starting to work out some of the finer points. The one question I want to have cleared up is the paper work side of things. I know that keeping a registered herd involves a lot of good record taking. But I am still a little unsure about the all the paper work that must me filed with the angus association.
From what I understand, once you are a member of the association you pay your regular fees. When you by or sell other registered cattle you must pay transfer fee to have their papers transferred to you. When you have a newborn you fill out a form online with all of its information to register it.
Is there anything that I am leaving out or not correct on?
Also if you have a calf from AI where/how does the certificate come into play?
Any other advise or links that may help me about would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

You pay your annual dues. The seller is responsible for paying transfer fees if your buying theres no cost to you. I put my calves on when there born then if at weaning they are keepers i register them. The AI certificates are bought as you need them and stored in a bank kinda deal then used as you register the calf.
I do all my things online, takes only a few seconds for each calf.
You need to turn in all the data you can BW,WW,YW hip heights, the more you turn in the truer your EPDs will be its all a pretty simple process once youve done it a few times.
Go to angus.org and all the fees and info is there.

Thank you guys for the advice. The reason I am going registered is that I would some day like to have an established herd and be able to have a annual sale of bulls and breeding stock females. It's always been a dream of mine. Being that I am only 20 I have had several producers tell me to start off with registered while I'm young and have time to recover from mistakes and learn what works best for me.
With that being said I realize with the current market and the way feeder calves are selling it is very difficult to justify registered over commercial cattle right now. But since my ultimate goal is a registered herd, I think it is in my best interested to start there.

Sounds like you have a good plan in place. It easy to justify what your doing get some good registered cows and you will have 2 options of marketing, if they dont make the registered cut there commercial, if you can sell a few purebreds just a bonus.
Your young enough to eventually make that name for yourself. You may change directions a few times to figure out the type cattle you want, dont be in a hurry go to sales watch and learn.

KYFarmKid":myzbti4g said:
Thank you guys for the advice. The reason I am going registered is that I would some day like to have an established herd and be able to have a annual sale of bulls and breeding stock females. It's always been a dream of mine. Being that I am only 20 I have had several producers tell me to start off with registered while I'm young and have time to recover from mistakes and learn what works best for me.
With that being said I realize with the current market and the way feeder calves are selling it is very difficult to justify registered over commercial cattle right now. But since my ultimate goal is a registered herd, I think it is in my best interested to start there.

I agree with bse. Make a plan......work the plan.

ill add this buying reg cattle you better know what they are worth and what you can pay for them.plus you need to know how much you can sell their calves for.like me i know i can give $3000 or $4000 for cattle and have them payed for in 2yrs or less.now thats assuming they wean a regable calf.

bigbull338":16444g7i said:
ill add this buying reg cattle you better know what they are worth and what you can pay for them.plus you need to know how much you can sell their calves for.like me i know i can give $3000 or $4000 for cattle and have them payed for in 2yrs or less.now thats assuming they wean a regable calf.

new word?

KYFarmKid":lnip4nfb said:
I have been farming commercial beef cattle with my dad for several years. I have thinking about slowly starting my own registered angus herd for the last couple years now. As I get closer to doing this I am making sure I have a solid plan in place so that I can be successful. I have done some reading and talked to local producers on the best way to start out. I feel that I have a good plan an place and now I am starting to work out some of the finer points. The one question I want to have cleared up is the paper work side of things. I know that keeping a registered herd involves a lot of good record taking. But I am still a little unsure about the all the paper work that must me filed with the angus association.
From what I understand, once you are a member of the association you pay your regular fees. When you by or sell other registered cattle you must pay transfer fee to have their papers transferred to you. When you have a newborn you fill out a form online with all of its information to register it.
Is there anything that I am leaving out or not correct on?
Also if you have a calf from AI where/how does the certificate come into play?
Any other advise or links that may help me about would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

You have a couple of problems Houston.
One your are playing a money game not cattle.
You are selling your name not your breed as you can buy an Angus anywhere.
The commercial cattleman makes or breaks you.
One oh shyt starting out and that name your are selling just became Mudd.
Just some things to think about.

3waycross":2432pr7a said:
bigbull338":2432pr7a said:

new word?

It is american, a synonym for the english words "eligible for registration". :banana: :banana:

Latest posts