registered Angus.... how to?

Help Support CattleToday:

Dee

Reaction score
I just bought my first regitered Angus a couple weeks ago, and AI'd her Friday. I will be getting her "papers" this week. What do I have to do with the papers. And when the calf is born, do I call my AI tech to get a certificate for it? I need a basic how to. Thanks for the help!

Dee":327kqgm4 said:
I just bought my first regitered Angus a couple weeks ago, and AI'd her Friday. I will be getting her "papers" this week. What do I have to do with the papers. And when the calf is born, do I call my AI tech to get a certificate for it? I need a basic how to. Thanks for the help!

Congratulations on joining the Angus breed. They're wonderful animals. You don't have to do anything with the papers. Keep them somewhere safe because you will need the info on them to register a calf. You must be a member of the American Angus Assn to register a calf. There are two levels of membership, with the Angus Journal ($50 a year, I think) and just a membership without the Journal ($35 a year, I think). When the calf is born you will need to purchase an AI certificate from the owners of the bull or the AI company. We use a lot of ABS bulls, so I call ABS and they electronically transfer a certificate into my AAA account. I can then either register the calf online or send in handwritten registration papers. Be sure and keep good records on when and what the cow was bred to. Those things will become very important when you start registering a calf. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask more questions or send me a Private Message if I can help anymore.

Anonymous":38592go2 said:
Dee":38592go2 said:

Congratulations on joining the Angus breed. They're wonderful animals. You don't have to do anything with the papers. Keep them somewhere safe because you will need the info on them to register a calf. You must be a member of the American Angus Assn to register a calf. There are two levels of membership, with the Angus Journal ($50 a year, I think) and just a membership without the Journal ($35 a year, I think). When the calf is born you will need to purchase an AI certificate from the owners of the bull or the AI company. We use a lot of ABS bulls, so I call ABS and they electronically transfer a certificate into my AAA account. I can then either register the calf online or send in handwritten registration papers. Be sure and keep good records on when and what the cow was bred to. Those things will become very important when you start registering a calf. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask more questions or send me a Private Message if I can help anymore.
I bought a Lifetime Membership in 1964 for $25.00 ; Dam that seemed high at the time. We bought a lifetime Subscription to the Angus Journal
for $25.00; I think that was in 1954. It expired in the 1980's when the AAA
Bought out the Angus Journal from the Hannes Family.
It sure sounded high at the time.

" bought a Lifetime Membership in 1964 for $25.00 ; Dam that seemed high at the time. We bought a lifetime Subscription to the Angus Journal
for $25.00; I think that was in 1954. It expired in the 1980's when the AAA
Bought out the Angus Journal from the Hannes Family.
It sure sounded high at the time."

Wow, it looks like a bargin now. But it was people like you that kept the Association going through the tough financial times.