reg. herd

Help Support CattleToday:

southbound

Reaction score
I'm new here and really enjoy this forum. Thanks to you all for contributing your time and knowledge. My question is how does a registered herd ranch operate and make money. I know they are trying to better their breed but, who/what do they sell to make a profit. I've seen some big price tags on some of the cows so what gives. Thanks Andy

the reg breeders make their money buy selling breeding age bulls.as well as bred an open heifers.cow calf pairs an bred cows.the bulls an heifers that dont meet the standards are sold as feeders.its not easy to get started.you have to really work with a reg herd.scott

but, what makes a cow worth so much, that at 17 1/2 years of age, she sells for $100,000, half interest? (N Bar Primrose2424) The Mrs. main goal in life is to sell just one of these a year. :D the last heifer I bought her is from the "$60,000 North Fork Primrose 6028". And I'm not gunna hold my breath on her selling the calf from it for even 10% of that. Not knowing much about bloodines I just look at the calf to see if it has what I like. Then she'll say "no, that one will go high, it's has VDAR Lucy (what ever #) in it". They need a book value. It's a caddilac, but it has heated leather so it'll be higher.

We raise registered Black Angus and have decided that Those prices are more political than anything else. Went to a sell where lowest price was in the $8000.00 range. Most of the buyers were big name farms. Saw a heifer preg. bring $18000.00 That was a full blood sister to a 4 year old that we owned and I know we would do good to get 10% of that. If the blood lines are the same how can one be worth more than the other? Must have more to do with the farm name.

joe":2rr5u5t1 said:
but, what makes a cow worth so much, that at 17 1/2 years of age, she sells for $100,000, half interest? (N Bar Primrose2424) The Mrs. main goal in life is to sell just one of these a year. :D the last heifer I bought her is from the "$60,000 North Fork Primrose 6028". And I'm not gunna hold my breath on her selling the calf from it for even 10% of that. Not knowing much about bloodines I just look at the calf to see if it has what I like. Then she'll say "no, that one will go high, it's has VDAR Lucy (what ever #) in it". They need a book value. It's a caddilac, but it has heated leather so it'll be higher.

Cows are worth whatever someone will pay for them. N Bar Primrose 2424 was "worth" big bucks because she's the dam of N Bar Emulation EXT, one of the most influencial, most used bulls in the Angus breed.

We've never paid more than $2500 for an animal and she was a bred cow that made Pathfinder when she weaned her third calf.

We make our money selling Angus bulls to commercial cattlemen. There are more of those guys than the high dollar purebred breeders looking to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for that "special" cow. Our ability to make money is tied to the price cattlemen get when they sell their calves. I think that's the only realistic market for a small producer.

Some large operations will offer people who buy from them an opportunity to put animals in their production sales. If a small operator can't do that, then I think his chances of selling a $10,000 heifer is pretty small. But tell your wife that I said good luck.

Going sales and buying Angus cattle is a lot of fun. Enjoy yourself, learn about EPDs and bloodlines, but don't go into debt to buy one of those high dollar cows.

We raise registered Texas Longhorns that we sell as seedstock but of course we always have some that aren't going to make it in this market. Bulls that aren't going to fit the bill for breeders either go as lean beef or ropers. Heifers usually go into someone's commercial herd for cross breeding as they make excellent mama cows whether they have great horns etc. or not.

I see alot of the big boys selling their cows at some of these big sales for several thousand dollars and there's no way that I can compete with them but I also think alot of that is stock swapping and tax write offs. You know, I've got this good cow in the sale, lets' get her up to $35,000.00 and I''ll buy yours for $38,000.00. I'm sure this is happening all the time and I'm sure it happens in other breed sales as well.

I have seen an aged cow sell for quite a bit-maybe this cow is the epitome of what you would like to have in your herd. Maybe she produces the best herd sires or the best daughters that pass all of the desired qualities on their offspring. You could flush her and get several calves from her even if she's got some age on her so she may well be worth what you have to pay for her. Also, several Longhorn breeders are into cloning now and that seems to be working well for them. I'm not sure about this cloning thing yet and I couldn't afford to do it anyway. That's just some of my thoughts as to why some folks can put down exorbitant prices for stock. :)

Frankie,
3 calves and already a pathfinder, qualified at the first opportunity. I think you need to get off your wallet and buy some more $2500 cows :lol: . Seriously though how about helping me pick out my next one.

jscunn":3kfwmu4d said:
Frankie,
3 calves and already a pathfinder, qualified at the first opportunity. I think you need to get off your wallet and buy some more $2500 cows :lol: . Seriously though how about helping me pick out my next one.

It was several years ago. I doubt that we could buy her today at that price. Cattle prices have gone up a lot. But I still think it will be hard for a small breeder to make any money on a $10,000 animal. There just aren't a lot of people willing and able to pay that for a cow. The ones that are will probably buy from one of the big name guys. I always have an opinion about pedigrees. Be glad to help if I can....

Embro's are they least expensive way to get in, takes a little more time but a lot less money up front. The right bloodlines are a must in registered catlle in hopes of getting the big bucks. As far as the marketing goes it's hard at first but if you meet the right people it can get you a foot in the right door. I travel alot and when I would see an angus farm I would stop and look around and get to know the owners and their operation and also tell them what I got for sale, what I'm looking for, and pick their brains about the business. It didn't take long to build a clientel and also gain alot of knowledge. Best of luck!

The right bloodlines are a must in registered catlle in hopes of getting the big bucks.

Rod, interesting comment I've been giving a lot of thought to lately. I'm new to the reg. Angus business. I had reg. Limo a few years back and it was relatively easy to identify the "right bloodlines" at that time. But for the Angus breed, as large as they are, I'll be darned if I can figure out which is the "right bloodlines". Don't want to hi-jack rc's post, so maybe I'll start a new thread asking that question.

Thanks!

Latest posts