Reg. Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

Doug

Reaction score
Always had mixed cattle had cattle 15 plus calving, but got the impression that may not be true for registered cattle. Can any one give a answer.

Doug":39ckhdpo said:
Always had mixed cattle had cattle 15 plus calving, but got the impression that may not be true for registered cattle. Can any one give a answer.
What's the question??

You are right my question is how long does a registred cow last compared to a mixed cow. Do they last and produce as long.

Doug":1zexgv4l said:
You are right my question is how long does a registred cow last compared to a mixed cow. Do they last and produce as long.
Probaly more difference between breeds than within breeds.

Doug":7dvfy3th said:
heterosis (a result of cross breeding) is said to increase the productive lives of cows by as much as 25%.

Alot of cattle that stay in prodution longer are the ones that are slower to mature. ive heard of brahman heifers that wouldnt breed till they were almost 3 thats a money pit. but a F1 heifer will start too cycle sooner and produce longer than some straight breds. my brother inlaw had a reg. angus cow that was 15 years old or so before he sold her due to chronic bloating.some breeds mature faster and fizzle out quicker

Sold a reg. Black Angus last year in oct. when I weaned her bull calf. Had got to the point she just pulled down to far. 17 years old.

We had a herfordX cow that we bought as a five year
old and we kept her for fifteen years. She had a good
calf every year until the last one. She stayed in good
condition, too. However, she was as deaf as a post
for the last three years we had her.

We do not cull for age if the cow is maintaining her
health and raising a good calf. We expect to keep
each replacement heifer for a good 12 years or longer.
Of course, they don't all make it that far.