Reg. Angus Heifer to Critique

Help Support CattleToday:

Nebraska Sandhills

Reaction score
Here is a Registered Angus bred heifer that was born in march 2006 and is due to calve within the next week or two. No fancy bloodlines in her pedigree--she is total outcross. She was AI'd to Sinclair Net Present Value. I took this picture a couple days ago. I really like her, but would like to hear some other opinions on her strengths and weaknesses, good and bad, so let 'er rip. Thanks in advance.

HPIM0868.jpg

I like her a lot. Lots of depth and good size. Also looks to be clam with good disposition. Looks to be real close to calve.

I too like her. Looks to be plenty deep with adequate volume and capacity. Would like to make her a little bit more feminine through her front end esp. lengthen out that neck (could just be the picture angle though) Nice heifer overall - looks like she'll make a good cow.

I also like the heifer. My favorite thing about her is that she looks like she is about to calve. :D If I could critique her, and this is splitting hairs, I would like to see more youthfulness and femininity :pretty: up through her front end, and level her topline, she looks a little higher hipped than I would like, but the biggest problem, and this could just be the pic, is that she seems to toe out quite a bit. Just my opinion, and many of us know that pics are not a good source for evaluating an animal. Thanks for the thread! :banana:

real nice, looks to be a good pasture cow with alot of body. my kind!

I like her, wish you would have taken a head on or rear picture. Have you use NPV in the past? How has he worked for you? I am thinking about using him. He has a very good dam. :banana:

Nice Heifer. I like the depth of body and what looks to be a moderate frame size. Who is the sire and maternal grandsire? I would love to get a look at your herd sometime. NPV is a good sire choice.

I have 12 NPV calves on the ground from 1st calf heifers and they are pretty nice. Highest BW I had was 85 pounds and they really take off. The steer calves are real blocky looking, but the heifers are pretty feminine. The one thing I am starting to notice is they are pretty fine boned. Definitely using him again this year.

I think he will work good on that heifer of yours and BTW she is real nice.

Thank you for the replies. As several of you mentioned, if I could change something on her, i'd clean her up in the front end some. Someone mentioned the picture made her look a little toed out--she is looking towards the tank and the rest of the heifers in the picture--I detoured her up against the fence so I could get her to stop and when she did she didn't quite get her feet squared around under her, but that was a good observation.

highvoltagecattleco":1fr8uj9s said:
I like her, wish you would have taken a head on or rear picture. Have you use NPV in the past? How has he worked for you? I am thinking about using him. He has a very good dam. :banana:
This is our first year of using Net Present Value. We sampled him on about 40 1st calf heifers and only 6 cows. Almost all the heifers have calved, and I really like the calves so far. The 4465 is a favorite of mine as well.

sowman":1fr8uj9s said:
Nice Heifer. I like the depth of body and what looks to be a moderate frame size. Who is the sire and maternal grandsire? I would love to get a look at your herd sometime. NPV is a good sire choice.
She is sired by a bull I purchased from the Jorgensen program in South Dakota a few years ago. He is a son of the Ideal 7407 of 1418 4465 bull, who was one of many good 1418 sons they produced. The dam is a Ideal 7451 of 8103 4465 daughter--she too was purchased as a bred heifer.

I thought she looked like a jorgenson female. So she is linebred to the 4465 cow and her calf will be as well. I think where NPV might help is feet and legs and calving ease. I am guessing this females BW EPD might be a touch high with those two sires involved.

Level her topline a bit and she would be show-quality. Honestly, one of the better looking Angus heifers that have been on here in the past while.

Latest posts