Refinery Explosion in Texas

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Today on news it was reported that a refinery in Big Spring, TX., had a mega explosion this morning that was heard as far away as San Angelo! The refinery was reported to employ 170 people and only 4 were injured. I-20 was shut down in area. Schools and other areas evacuated. A number of buildings in the vacinity suffered some minor damage from the shock wave.

As Texans know, Big Spring is the "refinery capital" of Texas (not exempting the Texas City refineries on the Gulf Coast) in the historic "Permian Basin" oil field region. On a sidebar, Ft Worth had a large refinery in operation back in the 40's and 50's which has been de-activated for a number of years.

At last report, there were no deaths associated with the explosion. Photos on the news showed a mushroom cloud that resembled an atomic blast!

I reckon this means diesel will jump to $5/gal overnight. I'm sure every filling station in the country was waiting on a tanker from that refinery.

I was told they were only running a skeleton crew do to Presidents day. News reports say it was a gas leak. They do make tons of roadway asphalt but all other product also. Was e-mailed pictures of a lady and her car. The plant is right on I-20. It had the windshield blown out and pushed her off the road. the news said you could see it 150 miles away and I live 75 and could not see it. Some say they felt and heard it. I did not, but we get so mant sonic booms it would be kinda hard to differ being so far away. 3 of the 4 are released from the hospistal. 1 has some bad burns and is in University Medical Center in Lubbock.

Latest posts