• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Reese drum mower.

KMacGinley

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 18, 2006
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
0
Location
Missouri Ozarks
Got a Reese drum mower on the way here from Missouri, Tigerco. hope to have it by next Friday. It is a 3100 model, 10 foot. Supposed to be easy to work on which will be a blessing for me. Will let you know how it does.
 

KMacGinley

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 18, 2006
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
0
Location
Missouri Ozarks
Got it on wedensday and have mowed 60 acres with it so far. Very nice. Mows fast and puts out two little windrows behind it. A very simple machine.
 

lavacarancher

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 6, 2009
Messages
1,960
Reaction score
0
Location
Lavaca county, Texas
What are you pullin' it with?

I sure liked my old PZ drum mower. Cut the heck out of Bohia. But it was only 5' wide which meant you spent a lot of time in the field and blade changes came pretty quick, too.

Good luck with your mower.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
Watch that the belts don;t twist. The one we got rid of no matter what we did or how it was adjusted would twist the belts and had to be replaced frequently.
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
KMacGinley":oipxt3j4 said:
Thanks for the heads up on that Dun, Was it a trail model or the 3 point one?
3 point
 

cowsrus

Well-known member
Joined
May 25, 2007
Messages
247
Reaction score
0
Location
N E Oklahoma
I bought a used Reese 3100 10' mower last year and i really like it. it cuts as fast and close or closer than the disc mowers i have used. I looked at them for years and couldn't believe something so simple really worked. It seemed like every year i was working on the disc mower and whenever i was mowing with it, i was always worrying about the next breakdown. The only things i dont like about the reese are that i have trouble folding it up to go through gates (might be a prob with my tractor hydralics or something else i'm doing wrong) and it has trouble mowing terraces. It scalps unless you travel with the terrace, but thats no big deal. No trouble with belts so far and I don't have any vetch, but i've heard they have trouble mowing it. I use a 4230JD or a 886 IH to pull it.
 

ERNIBIGB

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 26, 2006
Messages
228
Reaction score
0
Location
WEST TENNESSEE
My dad has run one of the smaller Reese mowers (2070?)enough to wear out 2 of the best disc mowers and it is still going strong. Replaced one drive shaft and two sets of belts. He has even used it to clip hundreds of acres of pasture plus the several thousand rolls of hay he has cut with it. We have a newer one on hand "if" this one ever bites the dust.
 

hardyboy

Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2009
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
cowsrus":37b5k9wr said:
I bought a used Reese 3100 10' mower last year and i really like it. it cuts as fast and close or closer than the disc mowers i have used. I looked at them for years and couldn't believe something so simple really worked. It seemed like every year i was working on the disc mower and whenever i was mowing with it, i was always worrying about the next breakdown. The only things i dont like about the reese are that i have trouble folding it up to go through gates (might be a prob with my tractor hydralics or something else i'm doing wrong) and it has trouble mowing terraces. It scalps unless you travel with the terrace, but thats no big deal. No trouble with belts so far and I don't have any vetch, but i've heard they have trouble mowing it. I use a 4230JD or a 886 IH to pull it.

Why do you want to scalp the ground? I actually put high skid shoes on my disc mower to raise it up. I like to cut coastal at about 2 1/2". It greens back quicker, it keeps the ground from drying out so much (from the shade that it makes) and the lower few inches of all grasses are just stems anyway. We used to have custom harvesters come here and try to scalp my fields to get every last inch (for more money in their pocket)- they havent been invited back.
 

ironpeddler

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 28, 2005
Messages
259
Reaction score
0
Location
Johnson City, TN 37615
lavacarancher":12arzli9 said:
What are you pullin' it with?

I sure liked my old PZ drum mower. Cut the heck out of Bohia. But it was only 5' wide which meant you spent a lot of time in the field and blade changes came pretty quick, too.

Good luck with your mower.
CCM sells the same as the PZ 165 drum mower and they also have a larger model 190 that mows 6'2".
 

ERNIBIGB

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 26, 2006
Messages
228
Reaction score
0
Location
WEST TENNESSEE
ERNIBIGB":1ahiqwci said:
My dad has run one of the smaller Reese mowers (2070?)enough to wear out 2 of the best disc mowers and it is still going strong. Replaced one drive shaft and two sets of belts. He has even used it to clip hundreds of acres of pasture plus the several thousand rolls of hay he has cut with it. We have a newer one on hand "if" this one ever bites the dust.

We now have another newer one. Found a bargain and couldn't pass it up.Guess Dad will "retire" the one he has used so much.
He is 83 years old and has new rear tires on his favorite tractor and a new mower. If he wears out either one I am making him get off the tractor.
 
Top