Reducing cow size

Help Support CattleToday:

tc in sd

Reaction score
If a guy wanted to take his cows frame size from 7 to 3-4;what do you think if a guy used a ''larger'' lowline.It would only be used on hiefers, it should make easy tme calving hiefers.One that is a 1 frame.If the calves average frame 3-4;differance between 7-1frame.Keep hiefers out of this mateing.Could this be done in one generation instead of 5 or 6 generations of useing 3-4 frame bulls.I have some big 1500-1600lb cows.I also have a handful of 4 frames that weigh 1200 in good condition.It seems there isn't much differance in the calves at weaning.I've also noticed the smaller ones are out grazing corn stalks and the bigger ones are by the hay feeder.

Going to the extremes will never be beneficial in the long run. That's where the freaks come from

If your cows are 1500 to 1600 lbs then they are bigger than frame 7 cows. Have always used this formula to estimate frame score ( FS + 7 ) x 100 = mature weight at body condition score 5. Thus a frame score 8 cow would weight about 1500 at a BCS of 5 ((8+7)x 100) = 1500.

Going to such extremes will produce cattle that are too little for commercial industry. Most feeders and packers are looking for FS 4.5 to 6. This size makes for the best portion size size on individual cuts.

As high as cow prices are right now, I think I would just look for a good set of 4 frame cows to purchase and a buyer for the good 7 frame 1500-1600 lb cows you currently own. Kit Pharo has some 2.5 and 3.5 frame bulls that will take the frame off of any set of cows; but too me that is too slow. Ideally, you want a uniform set of cows producing a uniform set of calves. IF you breed down naturally (and we bred UP naturally so this is similar) you will end up in a few years with 4 or 5 different frame scores in the same herd and a calf crop that is NOT very uniform. I would NOT use low line Angus on framy cows, particularly in an era where the cattle price is through the roof and the premium is paid for pounds. Whether frame 7 or frame 4 mamas are the more profitable is very debatable; but you definitely do not want to be feeding frame 7 cows and selling frame 3 steers off of them.

BC, I would disagree with you on this

If your cows are 1500 to 1600 lbs then they are bigger than frame 7 cows.

That isn't true, it's the weight and sounding big that we are afraid of. There are lots of 1500lb cows kicking around that aren't anywhere near frame score 8. In fact, I can't think of a person who has frame score 8 cows consistently through his herd, let alone many breeders that are selling frame score 8 bulls.

Those Pharo bulls won't necessarily reduce frame. They are just starved enough to look like they will.

mtnman

SEC":1drle4w5 said:
BC, I would disagree with you on this

If your cows are 1500 to 1600 lbs then they are bigger than frame 7 cows.

That isn't true, it's the weight and sounding big that we are afraid of. There are lots of 1500lb cows kicking around that aren't anywhere near frame score 8. In fact, I can't think of a person who has frame score 8 cows consistently through his herd, let alone many breeders that are selling frame score 8 bulls.

That formula I used was for cattle in BCS of 5. I realize that cattle in BCS 6 or 7 will weigh another 100 to 200 lbs heavier and yet not increase frame score.

I totally agree that you can have frame score 6-7 cows reach 1500lbs.
and for you guys with FS 3 and 4 cattle just keep them where they are at i don't want any of them.
if you have FS 8 cattle and want to get down just use some of these FS 5's and do it slowly.