Redneck repair?

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbilly beef man

Reaction score
Would this be a hillbilly rig or have I advanced to redneck repairman? Bolts for AC compressor sheared off in the back pasture and this what I had in the truck. It held till I finished spreading fertilizer.

This bandaid is over a month old and more adequate repairs have since been made. (I didn't say proper) there's a piece of 4 inch pipe split in half under all that mud. held the track tight for over a mile out of the woods and onto the trailer.
Balin wire is outdated......

hillbilly beef man":1xfval7f said:
Would this be a hillbilly rig or have I advanced to redneck repairman? Bolts for AC compressor sheared off in the back pasture and this what I had in the truck. It held till I finished spreading fertilizer.

Inspect the bolt holes pretty close when you go to put new bolts in. I'm betting the bolts were loose and rattled around for some time before snapping, and likely wallowed out the threads in the bracket.

callmefence":xh53v27p said:
This bandaid is over a month old and more adequate repairs have since been made. (I didn't say proper) there's a piece of 4 inch pipe split in half under all that mud. held the track tight for over a mile out of the woods and onto the trailer.

I did the exact same thing on an old IH track loader, the track adjust cylinders were so pitted it would eat a set of seals in no time. I got really good at knocking out the link pin on that pile of junk.

That yoke reminds me of that old IH - long gone from here, though! Out of curiosity, what machine is that?

cfpinz":2oxj00d3 said:
callmefence":2oxj00d3 said:

I did the exact same thing on an old IH track loader, the track adjust cylinders were so pitted it would eat a set of seals in no time. I got really good at knocking out the link pin on that pile of junk.

That yoke reminds me of that old IH -

long gone from here, though! Out of curiosity, what machine is that?

John Deere 450.

hillbilly beef man":30jtyi9z said:
Farm Fence Solutions":30jtyi9z said:
That's got to be in the top five! Did you torque it to spec?

I shore did. I torqued it to "grunt" tightness. This is a little tighter than "strain", but not as tight as "hernia".

An old mechanic friend of mine claimed that he "spot torqued" everything. When I asked what he meant by that, he replied that he yanks on it until he sees spots.

cfpinz":208s9w7r said:
callmefence":208s9w7r said:

That yoke reminds me of that old IH - long gone from here, though! Out of curiosity, what machine is that?
The really old TD machines and most Allis Chalmers had a big nut and bolt there--back before grease zert tightening. When link pins were worn so bad ya ran out of threads, you just cut 'U' shaped shims out of 1/4 steel and drove 'em in.

Latest posts