Red vs. Black Simi ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Looked at an AI bull book, and it seemed like the Red bulls had more frame and more bw. Is this a general trend, and are there any moderate red bulls available ?

Stocker Steve":oytud6zh said:
Looked at an AI bull book, and it seemed like the Red bulls had more frame and more bw. Is this a general trend, and are there any moderate red bulls available ?

Those red simi Bulls have more CONTINENTAL BLOOD. :hide:

Most of your US red purebreds have just as little continental blood in them as the blacks. For some reason some AI companies tend to select more power red bulls for their lineups. Try http://www.alliedgeneticresources.com or take a look at ABS's WS Prime Beef if you are looking for "moderate". The only thing I don't like about Allied's website is you have to do some digging to find out frame score info as they do not post that info on the site. FWIW you will find that a lot of red moderate bulls have Beefmaker or Shear Force close up in the pedigree.

redcowsrule33":82vpazg8 said:
FWIW you will find that a lot of red moderate bulls have Beefmaker or Shear Force close up in the pedigree.

I saw Beefmaker in the Genex book. Are these two bulls more of a cow makers, or power bulls ?

You saw beef king in the genex book Steve. With his level of growth, milk, and frame he certainly defies some antagonisms and not others. He is only 5.5 frame bull with an absolute excellent foot; one the best Bulls I viewed while in Montana. He was fluid in his movement on the go as well. On the right set of cows I do believe his daughters could be functional profitable additions to the herd, I wouldn't bred him to my biggest or highest ratioing cows for weaning unless I wanted strictly terminal calves which he can do very well. Tanker was my next favorite bull at genex as physically he did many of the same things.
As mentioned before allied has many red bulls with less BW as well as ABS, accelerateds offering of red bulls have way too much BW for me. Most red bulls in stud trace back to G151 at least once even though he was homo black.

Stocker Steve":2jxdjnb7 said:
Baldie Maker":2jxdjnb7 said:
Most red bulls in stud trace back to G151 at least once even though he was homo black.

How do you get red from homo black?
By breeding it to red cows and breeding the red carrier cows to red or red carrier bulls. Happens all the time.

dun":3f69eh3m said:
Stocker Steve":3f69eh3m said:
Baldie Maker":3f69eh3m said:
Most red bulls in stud trace back to G151 at least once even though he was homo black.

How do you get red from homo black?
By breeding it to red cows and breeding the red carrier cows to red or red carrier bulls. Happens all the time.

Guess I am too impatient.

Baldie Maker":3suq51kq said:
We breed most of our pb or high percentage red angus heifers to high stakes who is a red PB at genex.

He looks like he has a lot of calving ease - - but not as much capacity as some. How are the calves and what kind of cows do they make?

At this time Steve I can't answer that question; we bred him to the soggier deep sided heifers for possible replacements and those of an undesired type hopefully will calve unassisted and raise a hybrid first calf with additional muscle than pb ra contempories. I contacted terry schlienker (sp) prior to using the bull and he said the CE is real as his acc. Implies and that he will add some milk again as his epd suggests.

The Shear Force daughters are to me what has made him above and beyond his English heifer acceptable calving ease.
Lots of pictures of those on c diamonds website along with the Mika 141m cow.
Beef maker undoubtable will make good cows as well but he'll sire more frame and power than shear force imho.

Latest posts