Red Shorthorn X hereford cross

Help Support CattleToday:

Old_man_emu":3gmkc97w said:
So was it redpole or red Angus they introduced to shorthorn to fix em red?
:banana: :lol:
There's been red shorthorn since the breeds beginning. The trait was and is fixed the same way all traits are fixed- by linebreeding. Wonder where the red poll got their color?? Unless of course they were the breed selected for the arc.

Old_man_emu":2mu8u6uo said:

1. I've never heard of a redpole
2. There aren't any red poll herds near us so I've never seen a red poll.
3. I've seen lots of red angus cattle and have yet to see one that is the same shade of red as the bull pictured above.

Massey135":2gcmjutj said:
3waycross":2gcmjutj said:
[b:2gcmjutj said:
Massey135":2gcmjutj]With a bull bred like this you wouldn't get any more white than by using a red Angus. [/b]
Here's my favorite Aussy shorthorn bull. From Belmore Shorthorn -The Grove Kookaburra http://www.belmoreshorthorns.com/news.htm

:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

The red Angus will not throw white on the belly and body like he will and he sure as heck won't throw roan on a Herf cow.
What are you talking about? Really? You will get roans and spots on a red angus x shorthorn too if the cows carry it. Spotting genes are dominant to homo red regardless to whether its a red Angus or red shorthorn. You said it yourself, your buddies homo red red Angus threw spotted calves outta spotted cows. A linebred red bull like Dover will throw typical red baldies when bred hereford. The amt of whites gonna depend on the hereford...whether or not its a featherneck, etc.

I know it is likely futile, but anyway, when 3way is suggesting the red angus I think he means to replace the shorthorn, not the hereford. It would make sense.

turning grass into beef":1bbd67y7 said:
Old_man_emu":1bbd67y7 said:

3. I've seen lots of red angus cattle and have yet to see one that is the same shade of red as the bull pictured above.
Excuse my brain fart! Yes I ment Red Poll.
I was in no way serious! The suggestion was a light hearted attempt at humour. However your reaction would suggest that I am not the first to suggest such a thing or you are being defensive because there is some truth to the matter.

Massey135":qumbsj4k said:
3waycross":qumbsj4k said:
The point is you can take the expression "Linebred Red" and put it with $4.95 and get a cup of Mocha Latte at any
Starbucks in America. It means nothing. Homo red only means something if it is provable through genetic testing.
Everything else is :bs: :bs:
Your Silly- Surely you don't think they're aren't any homo red shorthorns???

real simple just prove it. If you can I will tip my hat to you and no hard feelings!

Old_man_emu":gllfzwao said:
turning grass into beef":gllfzwao said:
Old_man_emu":gllfzwao said:

I was in no way serious! The suggestion was a light hearted attempt at humour. However your reaction would suggest that I am not the first to suggest such a thing or you are being defensive because there is some truth to the matter.

I knew you weren't serious. I just think that if someone is trying to be smart/funny they should have their facts straight. When all we see are words, and don't hear the inflection in your voice, spelling and punctuation are everything.
Yes, you are the first to suggest such a thing and no, I was not being defensive. Sorry if I came across in that way.

3waycross":323jvj0z said:
Massey135":323jvj0z said:
3waycross":323jvj0z said:
The point is you can take the expression "Linebred Red" and put it with $4.95 and get a cup of Mocha Latte at any
Starbucks in America. It means nothing. Homo red only means something if it is provable through genetic testing.
Everything else is :bs: :bs:
Your Silly- Surely you don't think they're aren't any homo red shorthorns???

real simple just prove it. If you can I will tip my hat to you and no hard feelings!
From a UC Davis publication: Shorthorn cattle come in three colors: red, roan and white. The color of the hair is inherited in a simple additive manner with two alleles at a single locus. The alleles are called red (symbol "r") and white (symbol "w"). Red animals are homozygous red (symbol "rr"), roan animals are heterozygous (symbol "rw") while white animals are homozygous white (symbol "ww").
:wave:

Massey135":1vh9sw01 said:
From a UC Davis publication: Shorthorn cattle come in three colors: red, roan and white. The color of the hair is inherited in a simple additive manner with two alleles at a single locus. The alleles are called red (symbol "r") and white (symbol "w"). Red animals are homozygous red (symbol "rr"), roan animals are heterozygous (symbol "rw") while white animals are homozygous white (symbol "ww").
Which in no way adresses spotting which is probably the bone of contention here

dun":1nauitzg said:
Massey135":1nauitzg said:

My point EDZACHERY. I am done arguing about it!

3waycross":1g48tke4 said:
dun":1g48tke4 said:
Massey135":1g48tke4 said:

My point EDZACHERY. I am done arguing about it!
No one wins in an argument with a fool!

3. I've seen lots of red angus cattle and have yet to see one that is the same shade of red as the bull pictured above.[/quote]
I was in no way serious! The suggestion was a light hearted attempt at humour. However your reaction would suggest that I am not the first to suggest such a thing or you are being defensive because there is some truth to the matter.[/quote]

I knew you weren't serious. I just think that if someone is trying to be smart/funny they should have their facts straight. When all we see are words, and don't hear the inflection in your voice, spelling and punctuation are everything.
Yes, you are the first to suggest such a thing and no, I was not being defensive. Sorry if I came across in that way.[/quote]
I apologise for any miss understanding, and agree with you with regard to spelling/ punctuation. The dancing banana and laughing face were used to infer sarcasm, perhaps I used the wrong smilies.