Red Polls

Help Support CattleToday:

Jovid":l0s0usj9 said:
VLS_GUY":l0s0usj9 said:
Have any Red Poll breeders ever considered developing a composite with say, Limousin? The other breed would add growth and genetic variability so selection can make progress. With no Angus content in such a composite it would maximize heterosis. It would seem to me that a breed like Limo or Blonde would be a good choice for a growth breed or if you want to double down on maternal Tarentaise would work. What do you think?

We have a breeder in Missouri making composites out of Red Polls and Salers. He sells the steers at a premium.

Because of the non watered down genetics of Red Polls they would make nice composites with any breed.

I would love to try some crossbreeding but with the high demand for registered seed stock I will continue to raise full bloods.

asked about this cross myself. talked to the son said they are real happy with them. seem to raise one heck of a calf and you couldnt ask for a better momma cow out there. as far as the tarentaise they have some that are 1/4 tatentaise half angus and 1/4 red poll and they seem to be a good cow too just dont last as long as they would like. also said the same about the seed stock being in demand. they started to flush thier best red poll cows to increase thier numbers of the good beefy type they like but to watch out for the high milk ones cause they will take alot of feed.thanks again john i learned 100 times this from talking to you and them.

Well, I can say that most people think our red poll crossed cattle are "red angus".
I wasn't aware that the white switch in the tail was a red angus trait like it is red poll or perhaps its because red polls just simply are not in abundance in this area.

Our crossbred red poll heifers we have to wean earlier than 7 months as we've had several to calve at sixteen months and I don't like that.

I am really happy with the breed. Very docile, very good mothers. Easy going cattle, easy to work.

The registered calves are comparable to angus in growth and weaning weights.

The holstein crossed to red poll has always given us a solid black calf. This morning a white (charx x galloway) cow had a solid black calf and last years calf was gold colored (yes, same red poll bull). A few of the holstein/angus crosses are red but most are black. The 1/4 holstein, 1/4 angus, 1/2 red poll bred to red poll is giving us half red and half black calves. One would think they should be all red at that point, but that doesn't seem to be.

Seems like many do well in marketing grass fed beef. I wish we could expand our numbers but its getting difficult to find pasture to rent. Seems like many are going to grain crops.

The link in the post above does not have a good picture of a red poll.

MoGal":oonebgzf said:
Well, I can say that most people think our red poll crossed cattle are "red angus".
I wasn't aware that the white switch in the tail was a red angus trait like it is red poll or perhaps its because red polls just simply are not in abundance in this area.

Our crossbred red poll heifers we have to wean earlier than 7 months as we've had several to calve at sixteen months and I don't like that.

I am really happy with the breed. Very docile, very good mothers. Easy going cattle, easy to work.

The holstein crossed to red poll has always given us a solid black calf. This morning a white (charx x galloway) cow had a solid black calf and last years calf was gold colored (yes, same red poll bull). A few of the holstein/angus crosses are red but most are black. The 1/4 holstein, 1/4 angus, 1/2 red poll bred to red poll is giving us half red and half black calves. One would think they should be all red at that point, but that doesn't seem to be.

Seems like many do well in marketing grass fed beef. I wish we could expand our numbers but its getting difficult to find pasture to rent. Seems like many are going to grain crops.

That was the purpose of cbcr's post. It was his way of trying to put down the breed.

i am not sure about cbcr's post but i feel like the red polls in my area have much more muscle than the calves in the pic i am going to use my red poll bull on a few char cows this spring so i will have a good idea how they work on continental cattle David

Re: Red Polls
by Jovid » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:30 am

MoGal wrote:

That was the purpose of cbcr's post. It was his way of trying to put down the breed.

I in no way was putting down the breed, I don't know where you got such an idea.

The link that I posted was about the Red Poll cattle. The article did mention that the Red Poll breed is endangered because of declining numbers.

I have other information that in describing the British cattle that were first imported into the US, Red Polls were a part of that and listed as a British Breed.

I am glad to see people on here having some interest in these cattle and I hope their numbers increase.

i think they are a great breed of cattle and anything that will finish on grass has a bright future in this country jmo david

VLS_GUY":2sbvutxm said:
Have any Red Poll breeders ever considered developing a composite with say, Limousin? The other breed would add growth and genetic variability so selection can make progress. With no Angus content in such a composite it would maximize heterosis. It would seem to me that a breed like Limo or Blonde would be a good choice for a growth breed or if you want to double down on maternal Tarentaise would work. What do you think?

Those are the two breeds I've been most interested in crossing due to the traits of each. I think they would be very complementary to each other, and I plan on finding out in the future.

I actually saw the Limo Red Poll cross used as a heifer bull back in the day. I believe it was a Rodeo Buster sired female (Red Poll) bred to Eros. This worked quite well on Hereford and Angus cross heifers of the day ( early 1970's).

i would think limmi red poll cross would work great they would compliment each other quiet well to go back on angus or hereford cattle David

Latest posts