Red Polls

Help Support CattleToday:

Sugar Creek

Reaction score
I few years ago I bought about 9 open Red Poll heifers and posted on this board for advise on what to breed them to. Replies were generally negative about the breed (not enough muscle, too much milk, etc. )

Went ahead and bought a Red Poll bull and used him on the heifers and some shorthorn and angus cross cows I already had. I think Red Polls offer some real opportunity in a crossbreeding program. They have proved to be very fertile and easy calving without exception. They do give lots of milk but not as much as say a Hereford X Holstien. The Red Poll bull on Angus cows really produced some nice growthy and market topping calves. I would think a Black Limo or Black Simmental on these Red Polls now they are older would be a good cross.

I am not as much up on the grid or epds as some of y'all are but I do have lots of experience here on my place and at selling at our local stockyards. To my mind nothing takes the place of fertility, calving ease and milk and they need to come first.

Some here would call me a "Hobby Farmer" but the cattle income has been critical to our family for years and I have learned in the experience. The value of living fairly independently on your own land and its effect on the kids has been priceless. Very few are actually making what passes for a good living today off the farm alone. Many who look down on smaller operators are actually living off the investment and work of their fathers and grandfathers.

Sugar Creek":27j3d31i said:
I would think a Black Limo on these Red Polls now they are older would be a good cross.
We do it and it works for us. Red polls are good animals.

Sugar Creek":7ctl49oq said:
I few years ago I bought about 9 open Red Poll heifers and posted on this board for advise on what to breed them to. Replies were generally negative about the breed (not enough muscle, too much milk, etc. )

Went ahead and bought a Red Poll bull and used him on the heifers and some shorthorn and angus cross cows I already had. I think Red Polls offer some real opportunity in a crossbreeding program. They have proved to be very fertile and easy calving without exception. They do give lots of milk but not as much as say a Hereford X Holstien. The Red Poll bull on Angus cows really produced some nice growthy and market topping calves. I would think a Black Limo or Black Simmental on these Red Polls now they are older would be a good cross.

I am not as much up on the grid or epds as some of y'all are but I do have lots of experience here on my place and at selling at our local stockyards. To my mind nothing takes the place of fertility, calving ease and milk and they need to come first.

Some here would call me a "Hobby Farmer" but the cattle income has been critical to our family for years and I have learned in the experience. The value of living fairly independently on your own land and its effect on the kids has been priceless. Very few are actually making what passes for a good living today off the farm alone. Many who look down on smaller operators are actually living off the investment and work of their fathers and grandfathers.

You have definately figured out that there is a PROFITABLE use for Red Poll cattle in the commercial cattle market. Todays Red Poll cattle are not what they were 20 years ago. Besides fertility, calving ease, and milk production they are also early maturing. Which means large calves at weaning and at a year of age.

Just weighed a year old steer off the pasture and he was over 1000 lbs.

Hopefully more people will realize they can increase their profits by using Red Polls in their cattle operations.

If I were you, I would keep breeding them Red Poll. Those are some good cattle. Someday these guys will figure out that chasing the higher and higher weaning weight and yearling weights which requires more input all around doesn't pay. The red Poll cattle that I have seen here in Indiana are good cattle. Fertile, good milkers and do well on less. That is the name of the game. Good luck. :)

KMacGinley":3ay31nrc said:
If I were you, I would keep breeding them Red Poll. Those are some good cattle. Someday these guys will figure out that chasing the higher and higher weaning weight and yearling weights which requires more input all around doesn't pay. The red Poll cattle that I have seen here in Indiana are good cattle. Fertile, good milkers and do well on less. That is the name of the game. Good luck. :)

I couldn't have said it better myself. :nod: :nod:

I like them myself as well. I have six registered red poll heifers and am getting at least 4 more next month. I've been very fortunate and pay market price ($1.20 per lb and heifers weigh between 400-500 lbs when I get them plus I pay the $20 to register them. I've already agreed to pay the same price this year).

I also have a red poll bull. I picked the red poll because of their tenderness factor (one of 4 breeds recognized by MARC) and milking ability plus I like red over black. The plus has been that they are gentler than herefords. Actually my honey has increased his milk through holstein side (most of his are 1/4 and some 1/2 holstein with angus) whereas I am going for milk on the red poll.

I used a hereford x angus bull on all the heifers this year and they will start calving in January. Some would probably disagree with the choice but I want them to calve between 20-24 months of age. For the entire herd we're using a brangus bull next year (except on heifers) that I have. He's throwing really nice calves this year and I think he will improve our heifer replacements. But in 2008, we'll have our charolais bull to cross on them and I'm looking forward to seeing a bunch of golden colored calves.

Hopefully we'll have our own facilities within the next couple of years as I'd really like to AI some of the red polls to MM Century 21-04.

I used a hereford x angus bull on all the heifers this year and they will start calving in January. Some would probably disagree with the choice but I want them to calve between 20-24 months of age. For the entire herd we're using a brangus bull next year (except on heifers) that I have. He's throwing really nice calves this year and I think he will improve our heifer replacements. But in 2008, we'll have our charolais bull to cross on them and I'm looking forward to seeing a bunch of golden colored calves

I think you made a very good choice. When MARC was doing extensive research on breeds and what makes a good cross bred cow the best cow was 1/4 Red Poll 1/4 Angus 1/4 Herfeford and 1/4 Pinzgaur. That cow could then be bred to several different bulls to produce a profitable calf.

I think it's only a matter of time before people see the full potential of the Red Poll breed.

Jovid":1fbt1jtv said:
I think it's only a matter of time before people see the full potential of the Red Poll breed.

I doubt they'll ever be big time. I like them for all the things that have been said here. We will continue to run them.

They where one of the first breeds imported to USA and one of the oldest breeds.

You're probably right about that, Wewild, but I imagine a lot of people will have to change their breeding when tenderness starts playing a factor and I believe the time is coming because the consumer wants tenderness consistently in their beef.

MoGal":28mrs1xn said:
You're probably right about that, Wewild, but I imagine a lot of people will have to change their breeding when tenderness starts playing a factor and I believe the time is coming because the consumer wants tenderness consistently in their beef.

The consumer definitely wants tender beef and I think you will soon see a premium being paid for tender beef just like CAB.

There is also a big demand for grass fed beef and Red Polls excel in converting grass to meat.

There is also a big difference between tenderness and marbling. Most people think that a well marbled steak will automatically be tender, and that is simply not the case. You see it come up on the discussions on CAB when the defenders state that CAB is well marbled and Tender. The breeds with the biggest tenderness ratings are Shorthorn, Red Poll and maybe Murray Grey? (Chime in if I'm right Springers) :D

Tenderness is a dominant genetic factor,so is passed on to the F1 progeny, if a breed does not have it, it has to be aquired by crossing. When you need a hardy,heat and disease resistant breed to cross with,the Tuli is dominant for tenderness and succulence
Red poll has been used with Sanga breeds with exelent results, the polled strain of the Bonsmara breed has Red Poll influence,they work well in a three way rotational cross usually using a continentalin the mix.

Andybob":2m56vsfj said:
Tenderness is a dominant genetic factor,so is passed on to the F1 progeny, if a breed does not have it, it has to be aquired by crossing. When you need a hardy,heat and disease resistant breed to cross with,the Tuli is dominant for tenderness and succulence
Red poll has been used with Sanga breeds with exelent results, the polled strain of the Bonsmara breed has Red Poll influence,they work well in a three way rotational cross usually using a continentalin the mix.

As tenderness becomes more important I think you will see more people realize that the Red Poll can be used in a cross breeding program or even as purebreds to provide tender beef.

My grandfather used red poll bulls on his brahman cross cows back in the 70's. The heifers made some real nice cows,good millkers.

Fred":lyd2mdlx said:
My grandfather used red poll bulls on his brahman cross cows back in the 70's. The heifers made some real nice cows,good millkers.

I bet they did. Red Poll makes a good cross on just about any breed.

I went down last night (the honey to be was worse than a kid, "are we there yet?"). I got six weanling heifers from Schriewers at Black, Mo. They've leased out their cows so I probably won't be able to get anymore heifers but these will give me a good start. We have 13 red polls now.

The honey really liked the cows and I think he's changing his mind about "black is beautiful" and I'm really happy about that.

Glad to see you are increasing your Red Poll herd.

If you are looking for more to buy there are several breeders in our Western States Red Poll Association with cattle for sale.

Of course our 2007 National Sale will be in Sedalia MO.

Latest posts