Red Polled X Simmental

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Neighbor down the road was at house today and he has some Red Polled cows. Was looking at my new bull and he asked how his Red Polled Cows would do with my bull? Being we are both Hobby, Part-Time Cattleman etc.....between us we had no idea how this would work.

How good of a cross would a PB Homozygous Black Simmental bull be with Red Polls?

What's he using now? If he's really curious you could let him put 1 or 2 of his cows in with yours when you turn your bull out and see what happens next year when they calve. As for your question, I would think it would make a decent cross but then I know less than you do, so who the heck am I to say. I would guess any heifers would milk pretty darn good anyway.

VanC":r1xyqvyk said:
What's he using now? If he's really curious you could let him put 1 or 2 of his cows in with yours when you turn your bull out and see what happens next year when they calve. As for your question, I would think it would make a decent cross but then I know less than you do, so who the heck am I to say. I would guess any heifers would milk pretty darn good anyway.

VanC no one knows less than me :D He bought the place as a package deal Turkey Farm, and some registered (but never got papers on them) Red Poll herd. They were already bred to a Red Polled bull and are all starting to calve now. This will be his first year to have to worry about the breeding of them.

I know diddly squat about Red Polled, but believe I heard they are having the Red Polled Junior Nationals here in Columbus KS this year. Which is a big surprise we are a small country town of 3,000 people. Seems like a Jr Nationals would be in a big City.

the first black simmental sale was held in australia,

the average was very high $8-9,000 an animale

embryos $1200 each

some nice cattle ;-)

I believe the Red Poll does not carry any diluter gene, so, depending on whether your good bull is Homo black or Hetero, will determine if they will all be black.
I remember your bull had good epd's, the guy should be THRILLED with his calves out of your bull, if you are willing to let him breed to your bull.
Be sure he has his cattle vaccinated for Lepto & Vib. several weeks before you let them visit your bull.

I think it will be a good cross and when you see the calves you will be wanting to buy some Red Polls

I think it will be a good cross as well. Might be too much milk if he keeps his heifer calves from that cross.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1rm76uqn said:
I believe the Red Poll does not carry any diluter gene, so, depending on whether your good bull is Homo black or Hetero, will determine if they will all be black.
I remember your bull had good epd's, the guy should be THRILLED with his calves out of your bull, if you are willing to let him breed to your bull.
Be sure he has his cattle vaccinated for Lepto & Vib. several weeks before you let them visit your bull.

He is Homozygous black

Jovid":3vsl7c5t said:
Do you have a pic of him?

Semmintal.jpg

SimmentalBullGrasslandGenetics11111.jpg

I thought he was Homo, but don't trust this brain to remember
anything I was told yesterday. Anyway, shouldn't have a diluter problem with the cows - all calves will be black with a little "chrome" on some.

jhambley":1nlq9amc said:
Go to the American Red Poll Association and do a breeder search on KS.

http://www.redpollusa.org/getmemb.html

I think you'll see why it's in Columbus...Red Poll country

Jerry

Did not realize we had so many Red Polls in the area. Just thought it was pretty wild to have a Breed Jr National in a town of 3,000 people with no facility except a few out side barns at our County fair grounds.

Should be the biggest thing to hit Columbus since Leory got that new truck last year. :) Can not wait to go watch it, and see some good Red Polls.

Can not wait to go watch it, and see some good Red Polls.

We will welcome anyone that wants to come and watch our Junior Show and also see how the Red Poll cattle are doing. I think several people will be surprised.