Red Poll

Help Support CattleToday:

monkeywerkz

Reaction score
Anyone work with Red Poll cattle? My Grandpa swears by them, but I just haven't heard much about the breed on these boards.

If anyone has experience with this breed, or has any comments about the breed, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,

- Richard

I don't like them because of their poor muscling, but they milk good. I also hear they are very doscile.

Monkeywerkz, PM to me of your email address, I will give you an email address someone I know who has been around Red Polls. She said they are fine cattle but I don't have all details!

Just purchased two heifers after looking at the New Zealand web page a number of times. They seem calm. They have a tenderness gene. I have what is called scabland pasture, and need more efficient stock, and have taste; but need tender. Size is o.k. Just concerned about calving as I said I got two heifers.

monkeywerkz":1r8ktgal said:
Anyone work with Red Poll cattle? My Grandpa swears by them, but I just haven't heard much about the breed on these boards.

If anyone has experience with this breed, or has any comments about the breed, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks,

- Richard

I've had a small herd for about 4 years that I got from my Uncle. Good mothers and calves do well. Mine are a gentle to the point of crowding you during feeding. Been hit a time or two. We have used the bulls on heifers with no calving problems. The calves brought a little better and a little worse at times at sale as our Limousins.

kjerckie":2yzw8efx said:
What is a tenderness gene and how does it work? thanks
I'm not claiming to be an expert on it, but I have read several articles about it in Hereford World and Hereford America. There are scientific terms etc. but in laymans terms, scientists have isolated genes that are related to tenderness. According to what the writers of the articles reported, 80% of English breeds have at least one copy of it, while as low as 30-40% of continental and other breeds have it, varying from breed to breed, of course. It is even better if the animal has "more than one copy." I hope I am not starting a firestorm here for not having websites and everything all lined up. I am just saying what I have read, take it for what you think it is worth. I would say for more info, contact your favorite breed association, or PM Frankie!

Latest posts