Red Poll

Help Support CattleToday:

curtis

Reaction score
Anyone here raising Red Poll? Whats good and bad about the breed?
Thanks

Yes Jovid has some good cattle. Are you looing at getting into Red Polls curtis ? From photo's that I've seen, Jovid would be a good place to start. Shuters also have good cattle !!

Jovid can answer better than me but a few good traits are, they are always polled and always red, hence the name. They also give above average milk for a beef cow. They work well in a grassfed operation. They have a good winter coat. They are calm. Can't think of any more.

curtis":hs8ujkq5 said:
Anyone here raising Red Poll? Whats good and bad about the breed?
Thanks

Lot's of good........can't think of anything bad. I will say that right now there is a high demand for Red Polls in my area.

PM me and maybe I can give you more information.

Don't know of any Red Poll breeders in these parts. I'm thinking they must be good cattle, R P breeders are content with their color so they must be content with the breed. Good sign. IMO

mnmtranching":3nvt0nib said:
Don't know of any Red Poll breeders in these parts. I'm thinking they must be good cattle, R P breeders are content with their color so they must be content with the breed. Good sign. IMO

Calves come out the same RED color every time without horns and scurs
:D :D

American Red Poll Association has bunches of info on their site, as well as a breeder directory.

Red Poll cows are known for their longevity, breed back consistantly, and can raise an excellant calf on grass.

Thanks for your interest!

We've had them for 3 years and I like them. The man I bought my heifers from has aged cows 14-15 yrs old so longevity seems to be there.

My husband has always had holstein/angus x's and this year he has said he really likes the calves out of our red poll bull. I've been really pleased with the purebred calves. We'll always have some cows no matter what and I plan on always having red poll (or at least a %).

They are good mommas, seem to be popular with grass fed, very docile. I got my bull from Jackson Farms in Indiana but if you go to the red poll site, you will find breeders in Arkansas.

I got in touch with Jovid today , nice fellow and a lot of info. I found several breeders in Ar. and I'm going to give the Red Poll Association a call tomorrow.
Thanks to all of you.

Longevity is one of many good traits. My longest surviving cow had 19 good calves and 1 that died of unknown causes at 6 weeks of age.
Beware of any SUPERGENE semen that may be about. You wont last long as a Red Poll person if you use that, but from what I'm told there is very little if any of that in the USA.

Latest posts