Red Poll cross calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Jovid

Reaction score
Below are some Red Poll cross calves from one of our bulls. They belong to goody a member on here.

1/4 Red Angus 1/4 black Angus 1/2 Red Poll born in February

1/2 Red Angus 1/2 Red Poll born in March

1/4 Simm 1/4 Red Angus 1/2 Red Poll

goddy":1jdqbpv6 said:
Doesn't " depth of flank " = fat ?

No.

Deep flanked.

709864e7bff5ee74bf7c23f62c68d0aa.jpg

11f099db2c335aed9b996a769b4521bf.jpg

Shallow flanked.

6b8dac85b2b21b17c1c261cd5f7d0ed3.jpg

The picture taker did a good job! I like their type and their lines, but they are waaayy too straight on their back legs. Especially down through their pasterns..I bet they pop a lot when they walk.

goddy":2wse2ki2 said:
Doesn't " depth of flank " = fat ?

Depth of flank is depth of flank. Full in the flank = fat. If u have a look at these pictures the animal lacks depth of flank & cuts up. I would imagine if you look at these animals from behind they would also cut up at the twist (udder/cod)

More depth = more weight

I'm not going to argue that a couple of my calves aren't a little straight. The difference is in the pastern. Maybe people don't think it's a problem. They must not, looking at the Angus bulls on the new Select Sires commercial.

I really like the black heifer, but you can't say she's not straight. Other than that, which is important to ME, the calves look really good and uniform.

Seems to me just about all cattle pics make them appear straight ( your pic of the "deep flanked "bull for example )- no substitute for watching them walk and these walk just fine to my eye.

goddy":1ffvzr1y said:
Seems to me just about all cattle pics make them appear straight ( your pic of the "deep flanked "bull for example )- no substitute for watching them walk and these walk just fine to my eye.

Which is why I'm becoming much less inclined to buy semen on a bull without at least seeing a video first!

Goddy,

What do you see in your calves that you believe us the Red Poll influence? How do they compare with what you have been seeing? How old are these calves?

AllForage":cxfzmyck said:
Goddy,

What do you see in your calves that you believe us the Red Poll influence? How do they compare with what you have been seeing? How old are these calves?

Really too early to see too much into them - just that I'm happy with them and we'll see how they develop. Most of these are March calves - the black was mid -feb and the last one was mid-April.

ricebeltrancher":2naixyx4 said:
The picture taker did a good job! I like their type and their lines, but they are waaayy too straight on their back legs. Especially down through their pasterns..I bet they pop a lot when they walk.

I had a really close look at them moving today ( with the blinkers off :) ) and while I don't consider them to be waaaaayy too straight it is something to watch as they develop. No popping that I could detect and after all we are looking at cross bred commercial heifers not high end seedstock so I think they are going to do fine and dandy.

If they get around good, in the end that's all that matters. Our current herd bull is a bit straight (a Brahman trait), but is still very free moving and long striding. I would say your bull breeds true..they are a pretty uniform group. Good luck with them! :)