red or black

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Ok, after listening to you guys, i'm really confused. One says black angus is ther bull to buy, the other says black should not matter. What if I purchase a Red Angus? Does this make everyone happy and good with my commercial herd?

[email protected]

Depends on your market. We use exclusively Red Angus bulls (an occasional Polled Hereford for generating replacments)and our calves do as well as black Angus. But, we don;t market them where black is preferred. Quality animals will bring quality dollars. Of course that's another one of those "generally" things. There are some pretty sorry Red Angus bulls being sold as breeding stock, but some of the smaller breeders have really good quality animals that are one too many generations removed from the fancy name bulls to get the big bucks for them. If your market is black oriented go black, if quality animals pay, use green if that's the color you like.

dun

> Ok, after listening to you guys,
> i'm really confused. One says
> black angus is ther bull to buy,
> the other says black should not
> matter. What if I purchase a Red
> Angus? Does this make everyone
> happy and good with my commercial
> herd?

One or two generations removed from the "fancy name bulls". The fancy name bulls command more money because their numbers are better and most top quality bulls sellers only use proven bulls. Only the top quality programs such as Connealys and Sitz's for example can use their own herd bulls and remain profitable. But if you are in the market for second class genetics..........

[email protected]

You got a telephone number? I may be in the market for "second class" genetics.