Red Neck fence repair

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
There is a spot in the fence between me and the neighbor that you can't see from the road and out in the field you are pretty close to it before you can see it. I hadn't had cows in that field since late September. In late February I was going to put some cows out there so I ran around the fence to check it. I get in this corner and what the heck? So I call the neighbor to compliment him on is fine red neck engineering. After some discussion we figured out what happened. Back in November he was shipping 3 semi loads of calves Tuesday. Some of the calves got out and into my field on Monday evening. He got them out. The next morning they were back again. He herded them out again. He was busy sorting, weighing, and loading calves. So he told his hired guy to fix that spot on the fence. The result was red neck fence repair that neither of us knew about. That is the first picture.

On the way to the post office this morning I noticed a new red neck repair on his fence along the road. I appears that Jim is back at it once again. Got a weak post that wants to fall over? Here is the cure. That is the second picture. If any of you need advise on fence repair let me know and I will get you his phone number.

P7292988.JPGP7292989.JPG

Like some of my lease place.
The fence is merely a suggestion....
The first time one of mine saw those pallets tho, it'd be all over. They'd go to rubbing n scratching and there goes the pallets!!

My cows are pretty easy going tho, long as they got something to eat. I feel blessed with that.

🤣🤣🤣 👍👌👍👌

I once leased a place where the fences were bad. The owner would not put any money into the place. I was running out of feed and was having problems keeping the cows in. Found an old steel bedframe to fix the hole in the fence. That place had cost me more than it was worth; there was baling twine all over. Ended up moving the cows home and feeding the rest of the summer. Lost a nice little heifer that I am sure ingested some of that twine.

Hey now! Don't knock pallets. LOL
I've used a few here and there in the middle of winter when you can't pound a new post and the cows rubbed a post to death and then climbed through the fence.
My SMART idea was only short lived. So much for redneck ideas.
PS.: The cows will take those pallets apart over time and then you have a whole new problem with nails easily available to puncture tires.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::coffee::coffee:

For a quick temp repair those pallets will work. I have a couple sink holes that I need to fill in that I have pallets over.

Had a neighbor a few years ago that grass strings was good fencing. He was about as tight as they come.

If you can't keep your stock where they belong your not doing anything good for yourself or them.
Not to mention, most places, IT'S The LAW.

A person who owns or has responsibility for the control of a horse, mule, donkey, cow, bull, hog, sheep or goat, may not knowingly permit the animal to traverse or roam at large, unattended, on the right-of-way of a highway.

There is a spot in the fence between me and the neighbor that you can't see from the road and out in the field you are pretty close to it before you can see it. I hadn't had cows in that field since late September. In late February I was going to put some cows out there so I ran around the fence to check it. I get in this corner and what the heck? So I call the neighbor to compliment him on is fine red neck engineering. After some discussion we figured out what happened. Back in November he was shipping 3 semi loads of calves Tuesday. Some of the calves got out and into my field on Monday evening. He got them out. The next morning they were back again. He herded them out again. He was busy sorting, weighing, and loading calves. So he told his hired guy to fix that spot on the fence. The result was red neck fence repair that neither of us knew about. That is the first picture.

On the way to the post office this morning I noticed a new red neck repair on his fence along the road. I appears that Jim is back at it once again. Got a weak post that wants to fall over? Here is the cure. That is the second picture. If any of you need advise on fence repair let me know and I will get you his phone number.

View attachment 19620View attachment 19621
From all those bent up spiral stays, it looks like the cows have sure been trying to graze or get on the other side of the fence for a long time..

From all those bent up spiral stays, it looks like the cows have sure been trying to graze or get on the other side of the fence for a long time..
It is a trouble some little spot. Top of that little hill to the left of the picture is the irrigation ditch. There are big rocks that probably came from digging the ditch (4-5 foot rocks). Not a real decent pull point at the top. My guess would be that the ditch is full of water when people have tried to work on this. As a result they haven't started above the ditch and gone to the bottom of the hill. It is only about 40 feet top to bottom. There is pretty poor footing to stand and work on the fence. It looks like it has always been a lash up spot. This fall in cooler weather I will have to do something better.

On a much (much!) smaller scale, I've come to realize just how much different it is working on a slope than on flat ground.
Keeping your footing or even your sitting spot saps energy.

Latest posts