Red meat study..

Help Support CattleToday:

I'll bet at Thanksgiving, if you don't go back for seconds, people assume you didn't like the food.
I'm 5'9" and 157 most of my life. I have left some gatherings when overweight people suggest that I eat "like a man", or some chick in a double wide lawn chair suggest I go home with her so she can "put some meat on my bones". Lord have mercy!
Had a lifelong friend call me a p---y several years back because I couldn't eat as much as him, he's overweight, but I'm the one with the problem.

This may speak more to your perception. Although 97% of the USA land mass is considered rural, only 18% of the population live there (82% of the population lives in 3% of the area).

Even if 100% of rural citizens were overweight, that'd be much less than half of the total overweight population.

I don't like statistics when they don't agree with my perspective either, but by any reputable measure, you're statement is incorrect. In any case, lacking important context.
Of course there are more obese people in places where the population is much higher, but per capita, rural areas are fatter.

Wealth and level of education are the some of the best predictors of obesity rate, and rural America has been falling behind in those categories for a while.

Wealth and level of education are the some of the best predictors of obesity rate, and rural America has been falling behind in those categories for a while.
I've seen what passes for wealth and education in the cities, I'll gladly be poor and stupid.

Of course there are more obese people in places where the population is much higher, but per capita, rural areas are fatter.

Not totally agreeing with you but I travel a lot and I do notice a big difference in weight in some areas. Obesity is bad here and were very rural. But we do have a Walmart nearby to study the size difference.

Let's be pragmatic here. You'll always see more fat people at Walmart and fast food joints because healthy people go to a grocery store 1-2 times as week and about the same or less with any restaurant (on average I should say, there are healthy travelers). Fat people go every other day. A healthy family buys a week or more worth of groceries and makes all they can make until they have to go again, barring needing a forgotten item or something that ran out, or in the case of Walmart needing a new dry or hard goods item. Fat people have a stocked kitchen and still go because they want pie or cake or candy or something. Same thing with restaurants, even fast food. If you're working out or have a manual job or an active lifestyle and you make good choices the other 75%+ of the time, fast food isn't going to make you look like the hamplanets in there with their own gravitational pull, but you see them more because they're always there.

Going to the grocery store doesn't have to be a losing battle. Here's how we split it, we run about 75%+ of our grocery bill buying the "old west" staples. Dried beans, dried lentils, some wet beans, dried rice, flour, spices, salt, dairy (not for much longer) etc (I don't buy grocery store meat). The other 25% is the hygiene items, paper towels, and a few luxury groceries to spoil the kids and reward long weeks (my day job effing sucks but I do love it).

Eat like a man or woman of action and you'll stay that way.

This is interesting but a little old. Article shows obesity by county and also shows that correlation to income is weakening. https://www.maxmasnick.com/2011/11/15/obesity_by_county/

We have some new neighbors that moved in. They are all obese. Its a lesson in what not to do. They are all lazy and averse to physical labor, have a fridge stocked with ice cream, eat candy and drink soda constantly. Video games. But there are also some mental issues anxiety and depression. That is another issue plaguing this county.

My own take on all of this is a sense of hopelessness and loss of identity and purpose.

There was a study some years back that obese women will birth children with a greater tendency to be obese. A gestational programming, I assume. It seems that that is the trend now. A study released a week or two ago said that the highest % of the population dealing with depression or mental illness was liberal women. Seems the things that shape us are not always just the spoon and the fork.

My best friend watches the reality show My 600 lb. Life while she's on the treadmill (inspiration at its finest). The common denominator is these morbidly obese people aren't eating because they're hungry or, for the most part, because they love food, but to fill a void. They're self-medicating with food instead of alcohol, drugs, whatever destructive vice. And they will never lose weight (permanently) unless or until they address whatever trauma (emotional or otherwise) is at the root of the problem. Plus, they're lazy.

My best friend watches the reality show My 600 lb. Life while she's on the treadmill (inspiration at its finest). The common denominator is these morbidly obese people aren't eating because they're hungry or, for the most part, because they love food, but to fill a void. They're self-medicating with food instead of alcohol, drugs, whatever destructive vice. And they will never lose weight (permanently) unless or until they address whatever trauma (emotional or otherwise) is at the root of the problem. Plus, they're lazy.
Or they're born into fat families and have bad habits from day one.

Or they're born into fat families and have bad habits from day one.
That's so damn true... When my second kid was born we were in need of a babysitter. My wife was breastfeeding so she pimped milk for the baby. We found a woman that seemed qualified... and we told her that the baby was only to get breast milk or water and we would supply her. The first day we came to pick up my son we found a bottle of red Kool-aid in the crib with him. We once again told her that the baby was only to be given milk or water. I purposely arrived early the next day to see if there was Kool-aid... and there was. When I told the woman we wouldn't be back she said she, "would report is to child services.", and she did. Child services did their song and dance and told us they were fine with breast feeding. We should have known better because the woman was heavy and her fifteen year old daughter was bigger than she was.

There was a study some years back that obese women will birth children with a greater tendency to be obese. A gestational programming, I assume. It seems that that is the trend now. A study released a week or two ago said that the highest % of the population dealing with depression or mental illness was liberal women. Seems the things that shape us are not always just the spoon and the fork.
I couldn't agree more. At some point, why wouldn't liberal women that think it's okay to murder their unborn babies be faced with depression or mental illness ?

I don't disagree. And I do believe there is a genetic propensity for a lot of addictive behaviors. But the circumstances in which you were born & raised do not define you and at some point in time, it becomes a choice.
I'm not making excuses for them, genetic or environmental, just saying that some of them have bad habits from the start because their parents failed them.

I've seen what passes for wealth and education in the cities, I'll gladly be poor and stupid..

I'll choose comfortable and under-educated.
Plus, they're lazy.
No plus to it. It (laziness and no drive to improve) is the root cause of their failure(s).

All that other 'stuff' is just rationalizations/excuses.

I'll choose comfortable and under-educated.
What passes for comfortable out in the really rural areas would have you pinching pennies in most of the big cities, it's all relative. As fast as under-educated VS stupid, I don't care which they call me, though I have a preference for not being called at all.

I couldn't agree more. At some point, why wouldn't liberal women that think it's okay to murder their unborn babies be faced with depression or mental illness ?
in cali they are trying.. or maybe they already have... to pass a law that you can kill you baby up to 1 year AFTER its born.

What passes for comfortable out in the really rural areas would have you pinching pennies in most of the big cities, it's all relative. As fast as under-educated VS stupid, I don't care which they call me, though I have a preference for not being called at all.

they can think they are rich driving around a bmw with a high payment and a fancy condo with association dues... but really that is nothing more than a form of slavery.

Latest posts