Red Lim vs Blk Sim :: pros and cons

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

4CTophand

Reaction score
I have posted a few Bulls on the Breeds board and instead of an evaluation based on traits I got a few non-active thinkers. So let's dare to compare.. I have chosen 2 bulls from ABS. We all know it is difficult to compare breeds and cross reference EPD's, but we can try.

1 red Limmi and 1 Blk Simmi
Red Limmi
ROMN JUSTICE NALF 1541731
TRAIT CED BW WW YW SC MILK CEM DOC STAY CW REA YG MARB BF SHR
EPD +12 +1.0 +47 +92 +1.0 +8 +7 +37 +16 +47 +.86 -.07 -.03 N/A N/A
****all accuracies are good so didnt post them for either Bull
Good CED, BW OK, WW good YW great, SC OK, Milk med to high, Stay fair, CW Little high, REA High, YG fair to poor, Marbling> non-existent, BF > must be non-existent, Shr > must be tough as a tire.

Individual Performance
BW 65
205 723
365 1,273
SC 39.7 Mat. very small testes usually meaning low semen count and motility below 80%, must have been like peas at 12 months
YFS/FS N/A
Weight 2,200 Mat.
Height 57 Mat.
Born: 3/25/99

Blk Simmi
CNS DREAM ON L186
TRAIT CED BW WW YW MCE MILK MWW STAY CW YG MARB BF REA SHR
EPD +15.1 -1.1 +34.5 +54.9 +11.5 +0.6 +17.8 +19.3 -7.1 +.05 +.49 +.05 +.15 -.13
Excellent CED, excellent BW, WW fair, YW fair, Milk- real good because Simm have plenty of Milk, Stay excellent, CW good, YG> excellent, Marbling > excellent, BF> good, REA > fair, Shr-- excellent

Individual Performance
BW 78
205 886
365 1,435
SC 40 12 Mo. Outstanding
YFS/FS 6
Weight 2,300 Mat.
Height 58 Mat.
Born: 11/21/01 not quite as old as the LImmi bull but has more progeny than the Limmi Bull with better accuracies which I omitted and was in favor of the Limmi bull.

What I see with the Limmi Bull is good CED but with a propensity for heavier BW(+), heavier WW EPD's but his individual performance wasn't that great and heavier YW's, but again his individual YW wasn't that exceptional either; CEM is really good and Milk is good, His CW is a little heavy as happens with a larger frame score individual ( his Yearling Frame Score was put in as N/A) and as far as carcass merit data he is very lacking in that regard>>> showing no data in BF and no data in SHR

The Simmi Bull on the other hand has a great CED, Great BW, fair WW, but in his individual performance his WW was 150lns heavier than the Limmi bull, and his YW was fair, but again his individual performance was also 150 lbs heavier than the Limmi; his SC was excellent, His MCE is excellent, His MM was low, but a preference because of very high MM in Simms, His Stay is excellent; His CW is negative representing a smaller frame score individual and smaller finishing weight, his YG was good; his REA was ok, showing again the smaller frame score individual as compared to the larger framed Limmi, His marbling is excellent and past non-existent into the negative mumbers in the Limmi, His BF is good and non-existent in the LImmi; and his Shear is excellent where the Limmi is posted as No Data.

All said and done I believe the "redbull breeder" could greatly benefit from CNS Dream ON and he is in Luck because Dream ON just so happens to be Heterozygous black and will throw red calves on those Red Limmis--- Just a thought :tiphat:

What the heck is all that gibberish all about? :roll:

Both Bulls just more xbreds. Everbody already knows the Limi is tender so no need for sheer numbers. Now if you really want to show us short bus people how great of a cattle breeder you are just post up some bred and owned pictures. So we can all see the kind of cattle a really great cattleman such as yourself raises. Surely with all the knowledge you pocess you can take a picture or two for us.Just be sure to post cattle you own yourself. Registration numbers would be nice, not that we wouldn't take your word for it.

Red Bull Breeder":2kn6oicz said:
Both Bulls just more xbreds. Everbody already knows the Limi is tender so no need for sheer numbers. Now if you really want to show us short bus people how great of a cattle breeder you are just post up some bred and owned pictures. So we can all see the kind of cattle a really great cattleman such as yourself raises. Surely with all the knowledge you pocess you can take a picture or two for us.Just be sure to post cattle you own yourself. Registration numbers would be nice, not that we wouldn't take your word for it.
red dont be upset because your Limmmis arent up to the comparison-- shr?? SHR??? That is one of the main reasons USDA came up with the Select grade -- no grading +10 SHR cattle like Limmm -- they are rampant...... what ya got going there is you aren't raising quality pounds just quantity and pretty weak at that.... You get back in there and re-read it and if you dont understand something ask as there is no such thing as a dumb question--- as only the dumb dont ask a question.

I will be back in a week and hope to see some educated responses on this continuing debate-- let's talk quality lbs.. it is time some of you were made to stand behind the product you produce--- you would expect it if you were the end user --

I don't have a problem eating what I breed, in fact the main reason for getting cattle was that very reason. Yup, come back in a week, you ought to be on about page 3 by then. :lol2:

I don't have a problem eating what I breed, in fact the main reason for getting cattle was that very reason. Yup, come back in a week, you ought to be on about page 3 by then. :lol2:
I'm with you that is why we raise our own beef - at least we know what went into them ;-)

Romn Justice is a good purebred Limi bull. I don't raise purebreds. I raise cattle that suits ME i don't care if they suit anybody else or not. One thing you can be sure of 4ctoper any cattle i have posted are mine. I could do like you and grab some stud books and post a bunch bulls that belong to someone else and brag on them. But i am happy with whats is mine.

I have figured out one thing about 4ct.......He knows how to copy and paste.. :lol2:

I'm locking this thread because it seems to be more a personal challenge than something that would benefit the members of this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts