Red Factor Chars

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have heard of red factor charolais and was curious if any one can point me in the direction to learn more about them and any breeders. Do you any semen companies distribute their semen? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

I did a Google search for red factor charolais and got lots of listings.

Personally never knew there was such a thing! :eek:

The Red Factor Charolais cattle are common in Canada. We owned a red factor Charolais bull that was the color of a dark hereford.
His sire came from Canada. They lost some of their popularity when the American Charolais association placed limitations on their registrantions and banned them from the show ring. We still have a few red cows and get at least one red calf a year. In Canada now you can even find "black" Charolais.

hangna":10ncx5x6 said:
The Red Factor Charolais cattle are common in Canada. We owned a red factor Charolais bull that was the color of a dark hereford.
His sire came from Canada. They lost some of their popularity when the American Charolais association placed limitations on their registrantions and banned them from the show ring. We still have a few red cows and get at least one red calf a year. In Canada now you can even find "black" Charolais.
Interesating that there is black charolais. Must be something in the wood pile.

I can sort of understand the black thing, but what's the point in a red charolais

dun

dun":1sj9wkd6 said:
I can sort of understand the black thing, but what's the point in a red charolais

dun

Now Dun, you know red cows are prettier than black! ;-)

Tod
NTD Red Angus

You can breed a typical char to a red factor bull and get those buckskin calves that sell so well. Make good replacement females!

Tod Dague":1pan514i said:
dun":1pan514i said:

dun

Now Dun, you know red cows are prettier than black! ;-)

Tod
NTD Red Angus

I agree, but why red charolais. No premium for the black hide possibilities. If they just want pretty cows, why not RED ANGUS? Or BIG red cows, red Simmenthal. Just doesn't make economical sense to me.

dun

The Red and Black things are hot! Everyone wants a piece of it and the other breeds trying to avoid losing clients to angus breeders by trying to meet their needs. Since the market is driven by the almighty $, most commercial guys jump ship all the time and a red cow is more flexible in what it can be crossbred to. Which will result in the color of calf the market at that momemt is demanding!

CC":2g58b6ra said:
The Red and Black things are hot! Everyone wants a piece of it and the other breeds trying to avoid losing clients to angus breeders by trying to meet their needs. Since the market is driven by the almighty $, most commercial guys jump ship all the time and a red cow is more flexible in what it can be crossbred to. Which will result in the color of calf the market at that momemt is demanding!

Now that makes sense, I guess.

dun

Our longtime commercial charolais bull buyers have found their cow herd has gotten lighter over the years and like the red ones to put some color back into the herd.
They also work well on the black cows.

Dun, for really really pretty big economical red cows how about Red Brahman?

I agree, but why red charolais. No premium for the black hide possibilities. If they just want pretty cows, why not RED ANGUS? Or BIG red cows, red Simmenthal. Just doesn't make economical sense to me.

dun[/quote][/img]

cherokeeruby":911ybc5n said:
Dun, for really really pretty big economical red cows how about Red Brahman?

dun
[/img][/quote]

Around here the Red Brahmans would kill me. But when we retire )again) and just want them for my own fun, that's probably what we'll end up with. I do love them beeeg giant Basset Hounds

dun

Latest posts