red cows

Help Support CattleToday:

spoon

Reaction score
To the untrained eye (mine) Red Polls look an awful lot like Devons. I'm sure to someone more familar with them it is easy to tell them apart. Any helpful hints? Oh yeah, I've never knowingly seen either one in real life, just pics on the internet.

The Devons I've been exposed to have been oxen and will sttand nearly 6 foot at the shoulder. I have no idea about weight, just stature. They aren;t referred to as "gentle giants" because they're small

greenwillowhereford II":zfumwc9e said:
Some of the western Hereford breeders also raise South Devon. I don't think their variety gets that big.

Traditionally the south devon used to be the biggest (in size not numbers) British beef breed. They have very good disposition, lots of milk with a high butterfat content, but required good quality pasture to perform to their genetic ability. Calves sired by Devon bulls out of other breeds tends to cause some calving problems the same way the (old) simmental and charolais sired calves did.

There are 2 commercial breeders her use south devon bulls. They get them out of Oklahoma and Texas. There was a breeder in Harrison Ar. years ago, no longer exist. We had a bull about 15 year ago and still have a few of his off spring. We used him on beefmaster mothers. Kept 22 heifers from him 17 prolapsed before they were 5 year old. They were large animals and could tolerate the heat and did well in winter. We did have some calving problem on the smaller type cattle calving. He was a easy handling bull. They will not fit todays market where I sell.

Stocker Steve":1jtbqo6q said:
Are the New Zealand "grass feed" red Devons that are being promoted also big animals?

No, if you are also talking about those that Gearld Fry promote? They are frame 4-5 animals if I remember correctly.

Devons & South Devons are two different breeds. The Devons will be more the size of a Red Poll but they usually have long curly hair in the winter and a can have horns. The South Devons are much larger in size.

Have to agree with Jovid, The Red Devons I have seen in NZ are more of an orange red, but thats not to say that they have a variation in color like we do in Red Polls