Red cattle Resistent to Salmonella and E-coli

Help Support CattleToday:

sim.-ang.king":2lgjuvhw said:
I've eatin black cattle all my life, ain't dead yet.
Course I do ask a blessing on all my meals, so I really don't have anything to be scared of.
What you think which one is more resistance to Salmonella and E-coli, Black Angus or Red Angus?

Taurus":2xodmshe said:
sim.-ang.king":2xodmshe said:
I've eatin black cattle all my life, ain't dead yet.
Course I do ask a blessing on all my meals, so I really don't have anything to be scared of.
What you think which one is more resistance to Salmonella and E-coli, Black Angus or Red Angus?
Their all resistant when you cook them hot enough.

MO_cows":1fz3tba2 said:
I don't remember reading where anybody ever said heat stress "didn't matter". Lots of the southern members post about how they use Brahman influence to overcome it. So I don't agree with your perception or your assessment of that situation.

If we were in New Zealand, we could have a meaningful discussion about grass finished versus grain finished. But we live in North America, where we simply don't have the climate to produce enough grass finished beef year 'round. Plus our farm belt can produce grain like nobody's business. Therefore, we use grain in the feedlots. It is what it is. Making the best use of the resources we have.

And processing cattle by the thousands of head per day per plant, which is what it takes to fill the current demand for beef, is always gonna be risky business for cross-contamination. Consumer education has probably saved lives, so exactly how is that a bad thing?

You need to get out and possibly read a little. It is more than possible. Not saying it should be that way but it is possible. BTW, new zealand has winters as well that vary in harshness.

AllForage":mzhmyz4o said:
MO_cows":mzhmyz4o said:
I don't remember reading where anybody ever said heat stress "didn't matter". Lots of the southern members post about how they use Brahman influence to overcome it. So I don't agree with your perception or your assessment of that situation.

If we were in New Zealand, we could have a meaningful discussion about grass finished versus grain finished. But we live in North America, where we simply don't have the climate to produce enough grass finished beef year 'round. Plus our farm belt can produce grain like nobody's business. Therefore, we use grain in the feedlots. It is what it is. Making the best use of the resources we have.

And processing cattle by the thousands of head per day per plant, which is what it takes to fill the current demand for beef, is always gonna be risky business for cross-contamination. Consumer education has probably saved lives, so exactly how is that a bad thing?

You need to get out and possibly read a little. It is more than possible. Not saying it should be that way but it is possible. BTW, new zealand has winters as well that vary in harshness.

It may be possible but the economics of that land isn't in forage production today.

MO_cows":32hj50yy said:

I didn't say everyone did not worry about heat stress, but I said "many" want to discount it, especially in reference to black cattle. I don't care to do a search, but I know I've replied to people who say they haven't had their black cattle die from heat so it doesn't matter to them.

I think your "is what it is" comment pretty much sums up the cattle business. Because the black cattle trend "is what it is", and high grain rations "is what it is" and Salmonella and E. coli contamination "is what it is", there won't be changes any time soon.

Follow the herd.

Jake":2im5jw9p said:
AllForage":2im5jw9p said:
MO_cows":2im5jw9p said:

It may be possible but the economics of that land isn't in forage production today.

Especially with government crop subsidies, and spending trillions on our military supposedly to ensure the flow of oil for cheap energy that is needed for our current production system.

djinwa":37fwi8vw said:
MO_cows":37fwi8vw said:

I didn't say everyone did not worry about heat stress, but I said "many" want to discount it, especially in reference to black cattle. I don't care to do a search, but I know I've replied to people who say they haven't had their black cattle die from heat so it doesn't matter to them.

I think your "is what it is" comment pretty much sums up the cattle business. Because the black cattle trend "is what it is", and high grain rations "is what it is" and Salmonella and E. coli contamination "is what it is", there won't be changes any time soon.

Follow the herd.
just let it die, you have been beating a dead horse too long.

Latest posts