Red cattle Resistent to Salmonella and E-coli

Help Support CattleToday:

Well folks I guess that's the end of CAB!

Just kidding but it would make a great marketing tool to sell red cattle to the Local, Green, and Sustainable crowd!.....at a premium of course!

If feed yards and packers were serious about putting out a safe product this study sure should cause some to rethink their attitudes.

cmf1":2pbh8sd1 said:
HERESY!!!

Someone shall be burned at the stake forthwith!!

The researchers made their announcement at least 4 months ago. The finding has been virtually ignored by beef industry leadership and academics. The age old political question has to be asked, "who owns who".

cmf1":1srb7gh7 said:
HERESY!!!

Bring pitchforks and torches--we'll gather at the windmill. Oh wait--belay that--I have some red cattle too.

I read this somewhere else and one of the comments was that "No self respecting salmonella or E coli bacteria would go anywhere near one of those raggedy axxed beefmasters".
That's ok with me, but they're gonna have to come up with some kind of short catchy acronym.
"Made from 100% salmonella/E coli resistant red hide beef" is a bit long to slather across a pack of hot dogs or bologna.

Now that the long sought after genes have been found that will insure cattle won't shed these harmful bacteria into the human food chain, all cattle should be selected for these genes.

Come on now Alexfarms, you have to know we all raise cattle for the "barn" buyers or we will all go bankrupt.......:)

AllForage":2fop43qm said:
Come on now Alexfarms, you have to know we all raise cattle for the "barn" buyers or we will all go bankrupt.......:)
The barn buyers need to start falling in line, people's lives are at steak.

greybeard":134hmhb3 said:
cmf1":134hmhb3 said:
HERESY!!!

Bring pitchforks and torches--we'll gather at the windmill. Oh wait--belay that--I have some red cattle too.

I read this somewhere else and one of the comments was that "No self respecting salmonella or E coli bacteria would go anywhere near one of those raggedy axxed beefmasters".
That's ok with me, but they're gonna have to come up with some kind of short catchy acronym.
"Made from 100% salmonella/E coli resistant red hide beef" is a bit long to slather across a pack of hot dogs or bologna.

"salNOcoli Blackaway beef". :lol:

If this gets to be an issue, AAA will surely have research available to debunk it.
Science these days is pretty much funded consensus.
You put up the funds, you get the consensus.
Lot of funds involved in this one.

cmf1":3622ijgv said:
greybeard":3622ijgv said:
cmf1":3622ijgv said:
HERESY!!!

"salNOcoli Blackaway beef". :lol:

If this gets to be an issue, AAA will surely have research available to debunk it.
Science these days is pretty much funded consensus.
You put up the funds, you get the consensus.
Lot of funds involved in this one.

Money only goes so far. Truth always wins and AAA is running outa both.

I posted this back in April and there were no replies and it just faded away. Who knew I was ahead of my time????

Seriously, though, this is big. Even though e-coli is more of a problem than salmonella in beef (if the recalls are any indication), this study showed some cattle were downright immune to it. They tried to infect them with 10 times the normal dose, and failed.

MO_cows":3qmwkpkn said:
I posted this back in April and there were no replies and it just faded away. Who knew I was ahead of my time????

Seriously, though, this is big. Even though e-coli is more of a problem than salmonella in beef (if the recalls are any indication), this study showed some cattle were downright immune to it. They tried to infect them with 10 times the normal dose, and failed.

The researchers mention in the article that it has been a tough go because of so many black cattle. Could you imagine presenting this research to Tyson when he was preparing to unveil his "Star Angus Beef"?

Almost all of the recalls are for ground beef as opposed to typical retail cuts and of course ground beef is fast becoming the retail 'cut of choice' in the US which makes this topic more interesting. There has been work on commercial vaccines and studies show the vaccines being pretty effective at reducing intestinal e-coli levels. The vaccines are described as expensive, whatever that means.

AllForage":k0wh5zgx said:
:lol:
Somebody from CT better contact the Koch brothers and tell them that black sells better at the barn

Dr. Carlson is going to give a seminar about this at our National Red Poll Meeting in Sedalia MO on Saturday October 19th.

Everyone is welcome to attend!

Attention Red Poll Breeders!

This is a seminar you won't want to miss during the National Meeting and Sale in Sedalia, MO, October 19, 20, 2013.

"The Discovery of Natural Determinants of Susceptibility to Infection in Cattle"
by
Steve Carlson, DVM, PhD
Iowa State University
Ames, Iowa

Dr. Carlson has discovered a gene in cattle, termed the Phenotype Salmonella Resistant gene, or PSR. He and his coworkers have shown that the presence of the PSR gene confers natural resistance to Salmonella infection in cattle. Even more important to our breed is that this natural resistance is further enhanced in non-black coated cattle. These factors have implications in both animal health and food safety for our breed. What if you can tell your meat customers that in addition to its other attributes, Red Poll beef is naturally safer? Come with questions and take part in this interesting and highly relevant seminar on Saturday, October 19th.

MO_cows":zyfvv8e6 said:

I recall your post, and I read the article, but didn't think much would come of it. Just like when I mention increased heat stress in black cattle, many just say their black cows haven't died, so heat stress doesn't matter.

As for this issue, I expect the reply will be that we should be cooking our meat anyway, so it doesn't matter how many pathogens are in it. And we aren't going to change the way we raise cattle that increases contamination, because that is where the money is.

I recall as a public health officer in the military years ago giving presentations to healthcare providers on food safety. One title was Cook the Feces before you eat it. We are to cook our meat, pasteurize our milk, and someday we'll be irradiating all our food. We are certainly not going to change how we do business. Here was a piece from Lucky P I recall from a few years ago regarding E. Coli, which is more dangerous than Salmonella. Instead of reducing grain levels, we will just tell people to cook their meat.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=72877&hilit=Salmonella

We've known for 20 years or more that O157/H7 has increased acid tolerance compared to benign strains of E.coli and will survive in the GI tract of cattle on high-grain finishing rations, which, because of fermentation of the starch, tend to create a more acidic pH in the animal's forestomachs and intestinal tract than forage-fed animals. Some studies back in the late '90s suggested that switching 'finished' cattle over to a hay ration for 5 days or so prior to slaughter might be helpful in shifting the balance away from favoring O157/H7 - but other studies suggested that switching away from a corn-based ration caused prolonged/persistence of shedding, if at lower levels, so more opportunity for contamination.

Fecal contamination is going to occur during processing. It needs to be minimized, but it's gonna happen. Proper food handling, preparation, and sanitation can prevent the majority of E.coli O157/H7 infections in PEOPLE, regardless of how much fecal material might have gotten on the carcass, and into the ground beef.
If you cook it; it will die.
THAT is the take-home message.

I don't remember reading where anybody ever said heat stress "didn't matter". Lots of the southern members post about how they use Brahman influence to overcome it. So I don't agree with your perception or your assessment of that situation.

If we were in New Zealand, we could have a meaningful discussion about grass finished versus grain finished. But we live in North America, where we simply don't have the climate to produce enough grass finished beef year 'round. Plus our farm belt can produce grain like nobody's business. Therefore, we use grain in the feedlots. It is what it is. Making the best use of the resources we have.

And processing cattle by the thousands of head per day per plant, which is what it takes to fill the current demand for beef, is always gonna be risky business for cross-contamination. Consumer education has probably saved lives, so exactly how is that a bad thing?

Alot of the e-coli--samonella food poisioning problem stems from "moo-poo" contaminating the meat, which a good portion can be prevented by proper handling of carcasses.
Think it was last year in Brook Alberta at the huge processing plant there was a massive recall due to food poisoning, due mostly to inspectors poor inforcement /double standards at the plant.
There have been rumors on the internet that the inspectors told the workers (a high portion which were foreign workers who may have been afraid to complain possibly fearing job loss)that they were told if fecal contamination occured, and the meat was to be used domestically to simply wash the meat off, if it was going over seas to cut off the fecal contamination!!!.
The result of course was some very sick people who had ate rare meat. Those of the same household who ate well cooked meat were fine.
With that said, it is to the benefit of the producer and the consumer to have healthy meat produced, both in less $$ spent on sick animals for the producer, and healthier people for the consumer. Media image of beef as a healthy food would also benefit the producer.
It would be interesting to see if disease resistant bloodlines could be carefully bred, making sure that a single trait selection does not cause other unforseen problems.
I also find it very interesting that black cattle are most often the ones most suseptible to e-coli--salmonella infection...

I've eatin black cattle all my life, ain't dead yet.
Course I do ask a blessing on all my meals, so I really don't have anything to be scared of.

Latest posts