Red calf Black cow and bull

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

2 days ago my black brangus cow had a red calf, nose and all. There were two black bulls in the pasture at the time, a simmental and a brangus. Can anyone explain to me what are the odds of this and why? There was no 3rd bull.

[email protected]

If I remeber correctly the odds are one 5, the possible combinations are Bb X Bb= BB(2 chances of this)-Black calf, Bb-Black calf, bB-Black calf, bb-Red calf

dunmovin farms

> 2 days ago my black brangus cow
> had a red calf, nose and all.
> There were two black bulls in the
> pasture at the time, a simmental
> and a brangus. Can anyone explain
> to me what are the odds of this
> and why? There was no 3rd bull.

> 2 days ago my black brangus cow
> had a red calf, nose and all.
> There were two black bulls in the
> pasture at the time, a simmental
> and a brangus. Can anyone explain
> to me what are the odds of this
> and why? There was no 3rd bull. Tommy, this has been debated many times at various sites on the net, that is, the dominanace of color, but I have used 3 different angus bulls on some limi/angus cross cows which are black and I still get quite a few red calves. Two of these bulls were produced via ai and their sires were not red carriers, I haven't researched their dam's side. I have a hard time believing black is dominant with the number of red calves I get out of black cows and black bulls. Black may be dominant the majority of the time but not 100% or at least that's my opinion and experience.

[email protected]

Well, the bull and the cow both have two genes(one from the dam and one from the sire) to choose from to donate to the calf. They probably each had a red and a black gene and both just happened to donate the red gene.

[email protected]

The odds are one in 4 not one in 5

dunmovin farms

> If I remeber correctly the odds
> are one 5, the possible
> combinations are Bb X Bb= BB(2
> chances of this)-Black calf,
> Bb-Black calf, bB-Black calf,
> bb-Red calf

> dunmovin farms

Latest posts