Red calf Black cow and bull

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

2 days ago my black brangus cow had a red calf, nose and all. There were two black bulls in the pasture at the time, a simmental and a brangus. Can anyone explain to me what are the odds of this and why? There was no 3rd bull.

[email protected]

OP
A

Anonymous

If I remeber correctly the odds are one 5, the possible combinations are Bb X Bb= BB(2 chances of this)-Black calf, Bb-Black calf, bB-Black calf, bb-Red calf

dunmovin farms

> 2 days ago my black brangus cow
> had a red calf, nose and all.
> There were two black bulls in the
> pasture at the time, a simmental
> and a brangus. Can anyone explain
> to me what are the odds of this
> and why? There was no 3rd bull.

OP
A

Anonymous

> 2 days ago my black brangus cow
> had a red calf, nose and all.
> There were two black bulls in the
> pasture at the time, a simmental
> and a brangus. Can anyone explain
> to me what are the odds of this
> and why? There was no 3rd bull. Tommy, this has been debated many times at various sites on the net, that is, the dominanace of color, but I have used 3 different angus bulls on some limi/angus cross cows which are black and I still get quite a few red calves. Two of these bulls were produced via ai and their sires were not red carriers, I haven't researched their dam's side. I have a hard time believing black is dominant with the number of red calves I get out of black cows and black bulls. Black may be dominant the majority of the time but not 100% or at least that's my opinion and experience.

[email protected]

OP
A

Anonymous

Well, the bull and the cow both have two genes(one from the dam and one from the sire) to choose from to donate to the calf. They probably each had a red and a black gene and both just happened to donate the red gene.

[email protected]

OP
A

Anonymous

The odds are one in 4 not one in 5

dunmovin farms

> If I remeber correctly the odds
> are one 5, the possible
> combinations are Bb X Bb= BB(2
> chances of this)-Black calf,
> Bb-Black calf, bB-Black calf,
> bb-Red calf