Red Brangus vs. Santa Gertrudis

Help Support CattleToday:

brihop

Reaction score
O.K.- so granted, they have a lot in common, heat tolerant, brahman influence breed, solid red hide, maternal...

However, curious to hear which most folks would pick between those two for their brood cow herd in the southeast and why. Or are they just so darn similar its a toss up?

Gerts are known for being able walk long spaces for water.
Brangus not to the same degree. My preference would depend on how tw land they are going on is laid out. They're both great

I prefer Gert due to the option to add more milk in to your herd if you choose to with the Gert genetics. Also the Gert gene pool is much deeper than the Red Brangus gene pool. Finding quality Gert heifers is not a problem but I have seen many people that were interested in Red Brangus have difficulty finding stock. I would say if a person was interested in Red Brangus and Red Brangus only to find a seed stock person but if they were going into the commercial end I would say save yourself the headache and expense and just go with Gerts, Beefmasters, F1 Tigers, Brafords or even Black Brangus and call it a day.

I say Gerts for the milking ability. I am assuming the goal would be for a terminal cross anyway. Why not go with the better mother.

I looked at both. In my neck of the woods Red Brangus are very rare. Good gerts are much more plentiful. I really enjoy my gerts.

u4411clb":16fz4zy0 said:
I prefer Gert due to the option to add more milk in to your herd if you choose to with the Gert genetics. Also the Gert gene pool is much deeper than the Red Brangus gene pool. Finding quality Gert heifers is not a problem but I have seen many people that were interested in Red Brangus have difficulty finding stock. I would say if a person was interested in Red Brangus and Red Brangus only to find a seed stock person but if they were going into the commercial end I would say save yourself the headache and expense and just go with Gerts, Beefmasters, F1 Tigers, Brafords or even Black Brangus and call it a day.
Good answers! Well thought out and using fine logic!

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts