red brangus, terminal cross

Help Support CattleToday:

Txwalt

Reaction score
What do ya'll think would be the best terminal cross on red brangus cows for the sale barn. I was thinking charolais.

Walt

hi, okay i know what angus is but what is brangus. Seen that word tossed about and i'm curious?
Sorry i don't have an answer for your question

Herford, then you have the option of selling the heifers as replacements. I know I will buy red super baldies anytime I can find them raised on the Gulf Coast

If you're talking strictly terminal I would go with Charolais. If you're planning on keeping or selling replacements, then I agree with houstoncutter.

I am like every one else - if it is a terminal cross then use Charolais. If replacements are needed then Hereford or Red Angus would be my choice.

you get the right hereford and could use him for both purposes. that way you would'nt have to bounce back and forth. never seen charolais on red brangus just black . but they make great terminals

Thanks for all the posts. My original plan was to get my herd numbers up over the next 2 or 3 years raising red brangus. Put a charolais bull in and just do a terminal cross. Replacements would be purchased from my neighbor. Now I'm wondering about a hereford, red brangus cross herd and then doing a terminal cross.

Walt

Txwalt":3husa5mi said:
Now I'm wondering about a hereford, red brangus cross herd and then doing a terminal cross.

Walt

I don't think you could go wrong there, either, as long as 3/16 Brahman in your cowherd is enough for your area. A good Charolais bull on those cows should give you some awesome calves. Good luck.

Latest posts