Red Brand HT Barb

Help Support CattleToday:

fence_it

Reaction score
Has anybody seen/used the new 15.5 gauge high tensile barb from Red Brand? Looking for some user reviews before we try it.

I just stretched some along side ours, and goucho. It was a distant third. It has the qualities that the first gen goucho was hated for. Strands didn't stretch anywhere close to even, but that's been RB's calling card for a few years. Goucho stretched just like it has as long as I've been around it, which isn't terrible. Best thing you can do with any product, in my opinion, is buy a roll and try it. Make every attempt to destroy it, and see what happens. That's why me and Fence get along as well as we do about 20% of the time....We both like to see if we can break it.

I don't know if it has improved but the last I used was in the mid-80s.Seemed like the barbs would rust or at least discolor before it had been up only a few years.With Gaucho,it all seems to oxidize about the same.Gaucho I put up then still has a grey color on it.
Maybe they have improved it.The coop where I buy wire doesn't carry it.The only Red Brand barberd they have is Class I galvanized "soft" wire.Hi tensile is Gaucho or Sta Tuff

We fenced about 8 acres with it last year and it was a huge mistake. Seems you just can't get it tight enough.

We used come alongs and a golden road to stretch when it was installed. Just a year later and it isn't good and tight anywhere.

I'm not sure what to recommend but I would stay away from red brand. I thought I was getting premium barbed wire since I was paying a premium price.

I'm pretty sure at the time you could buy 2 rolls of Goucho for what I gave for one roll of the red brand.

kentuckyguy":3g8zhwp8 said:
We fenced about 8 acres with it last year and it was a huge mistake. Seems you just can't get it tight enough.

We used come alongs and a golden road to stretch when it was installed. Just a year later and it isn't good and tight anywhere.

I'm not sure what to recommend but I would stay away from red brand. I thought I was getting premium barbed wire since I was paying a premium price.

I'm pretty sure at the time you could buy 2 rolls of Goucho for what I gave for one roll of the red brand.

That was high tensile barb? Or the "ruthless" 12.5ga? The HT should be pretty price competitive with gaucho.

High tensile barb is nowhere to be found where I live, only low carbon H&W and Red Brand. Part of the reason I despise barb so much. I seen some of this Red Brand high tensile barb in Missouri and figured the local farm stores back home should be able to get it easy enough, since Red Brand is about all they will sell. The quality wire like Stay Tuff/Tornado they won't even consider trying to sell. We've tried. It's a shame.

Figured this barb would be worth a try, seeing as how its high tensile and class 3.

fence_it":20e4eb84 said:
kentuckyguy":20e4eb84 said:

That was high tensile barb? Or the "ruthless" 12.5ga? The HT should be pretty price competitive with gaucho.

It may have been the ruthless. It's really heavy wire. I think it was $65 roll

fence_it":3vh32lac said:
High tensile barb is nowhere to be found where I live, only low carbon H&W and Red Brand. Part of the reason I despise barb so much. I seen some of this Red Brand high tensile barb in Missouri and figured the local farm stores back home should be able to get it easy enough, since Red Brand is about all they will sell. The quality wire like Stay Tuff/Tornado they won't even consider trying to sell. We've tried. It's a shame.

Figured this barb would be worth a try, seeing as how its high tensile and class 3.

They, or you, could get to the best barbed wire(and net wire) just as easy. We put it on boats every day. It's night and day diffrence. Want me to send you a roll to prove it?

greybeard":37j7z20l said:
Red Brand Ruthless retails around $70 (tax not incl) for 1/4 mile roll and weighs 83lbs according to Rural King. It's not HT.
https://www.ruralking.com/red-brand-80- ... auge-70481

Most US brand HT 15.5 ga barb wire weighs around 50lbs/roll, and 14 ga around $65/roll.

This must be some superdooper really good stuff here:
:roll: ;-)
It's 'on sale' right now....$265.00/ roll.
https://www.essentialhardware.com/keyst ... 26091.html

What's up with comparing 15.5 gauge weight to 14 gauge cost? I'm confused.
Not much more than what they want for that high dollar stuff, I can send ya a mile of good 14 gauge. Crazy stuff right there.

greybeard":1908h135 said:
Because kentuckyguy said:

It may have been the ruthless. It's really heavy wire. I think it was $65 roll

He didn't know what it was, just that it was "really heavy".

Makes more sense, but where can a guy buy $65 14 gauge these days? Is it holdover 2 point?

Farm Fence Solutions":2un02fat said:
greybeard":2un02fat said:
Red Brand Ruthless retails around $70 (tax not incl) for 1/4 mile roll and weighs 83lbs according to Rural King. It's not HT.
https://www.ruralking.com/red-brand-80- ... auge-70481

Most US brand HT 15.5 ga barb wire weighs around 50lbs/roll, and 14 ga around $65/roll.

This must be some superdooper really good stuff here:
:roll: ;-)
It's 'on sale' right now....$265.00/ roll.
https://www.essentialhardware.com/keyst ... 26091.html

What's up with comparing 15.5 gauge weight to 14 gauge cost? I'm confused.
Not much more than what they want for that high dollar stuff, I can send ya a mile of good 14 gauge. Crazy stuff right there.

While you're in a giving mood.
I would seriously like a couple of those counterfeit display mile rolls. He// I'll pay for em when I get round to it. ........

Latest posts