Red Brahman X Hereford

Help Support CattleToday:

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Reaction score
i have a red brahman bull right now and next year i want to get a heifer to breed him to. i was told a hereford would be great to breed him to, and it would come out with the tigerstripe colors. mainly i want a heifer that doesnt have calving problems. i was thinking about a red brahman heifer, but ive heard too many bad things about them (extremely difficult to train, very moody), and plus i dont want to wait the 2 years for it to mature. id like to know what are some good breeds that i could cross him with that wouldnt have problems (or at least very few), and what colors could i come out with. plus what would be a good mix that i could possibly sell for some decent money. thanks for any info

My choices would be Black or Red Angus or Hereford.
There are plenty of all in your area to pick from.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":3uhzl3ku said:
i have a red brahman bull right now and next year i want to get a heifer to breed him to. i was told a hereford would be great to breed him to, and it would come out with the tigerstripe colors. mainly i want a heifer that doesnt have calving problems. i was thinking about a red brahman heifer, but ive heard too many bad things about them (extremely difficult to train, very moody), and plus i dont want to wait the 2 years for it to mature. id like to know what are some good breeds that i could cross him with that wouldnt have problems (or at least very few), and what colors could i come out with. plus what would be a good mix that i could possibly sell for some decent money. thanks for any info
hereford will be good but you could try Simmental, it will give you one of the best F1's

If you want a Red Brahman heifer to breed to the bull why do you need to train her? And this board goes on and on about disposition in Brahman cattle, they have no more of a disposition problem than any other breed, a whole lot depends on the breeder. We have had crazies in the past, they all got shipped (grew wheels), left no descendants. If you want to see gentle Red Brahman come to my place. But the wholesale disparagement of the breed just needs to stop.

I've said it before, Brahmans need to be handled differently then other cattle. Stir them up one time and they'll remember and you'll have a hard time getting them in the same situation. Work them easy, no cowboying and hoorah and they're easy to work, actaully make great pets. It's claimed that they're more intelligent then other cattle but I don;t know how you would administer an IQ test to a cow. We learned years ago with our Gert crosses to work them easy and it's paid off with every animal we've had since. We've bought some nut cases and even most of them gradually settle in to the easy handling.
Once in a while there used to be some Brahman calves go through the sale barn. My wife would take away the check book so I couldn't bring them home.
Both the calmest, tamest cattle if seen have been Brahmans, also the second craziest.

dun

cherokeeruby":142syc0a said:
If you want a Red Brahman heifer to breed to the bull why do you need to train her? And this board goes on and on about disposition in Brahman cattle, they have no more of a disposition problem than any other breed, a whole lot depends on the breeder. We have had crazies in the past, they all got shipped (grew wheels), left no descendants. If you want to see gentle Red Brahman come to my place. But the wholesale disparagement of the breed just needs to stop.

Thanks, Dun, for the endorsement. Here is a picture of some wild, crazy, killer Brahmans.

group_-_signature_size.jpg
[/img]

When I was training oxen I had alwasy considered getting a couple of Brahmans. The concensus was that the winters would be too tough on them for loggin and stuff. When we retire from the business again I may just get a couple anyway. By then I'll be too old to spend much time out cutting and skidding logs anyway.

dun

My first exposure to Brahmans was when I though I was going to be the greatest bull rider ever. Once I realized how wrong I was, my next exposure was to this guy. The only bull that I ever played soccer with.

pancho.jpg

dun

Good looking bull, a bit sheathy though. Old old breeding, but back to some of the best.

Where did you find that picture?

1983 Carnation Genetics beef semen catalog. I don;t think there was nearly the concern with extra leather 20 years ago that there is today.

dun

Anonymous":3535k00p said:
Good looking bull, a bit sheathy though. Old old breeding, but back to some of the best.

Where did you find that picture?

i know brahmans can be the gentlest there is, but the guy i bought mine from said they have always had a lot of problems with brahman heifers. this family has raised brahmans since my ag teacher was showing in junior shows, so i figured they would know everything i wanted to know about brahmans. ive had mine over a week now and i already have it walking almost perfectly. no fancy techniques, just tie him up, then walk him to the feed. now ive moved past walking him around his pen and around the barn, hes moved up to the large corral we have set up. tomorrow i want to take him outside of the corral to the open to walk. i am extremely pleased and surprised with the progress he has made. i was expecting to be thrown around at least a little, but none yet. part of the reason i got a brahman is because i never hit any of my animals. i know some breeds you have to slap around some to let them know whos boss.

cherokee, i need to train her because i want to show her. i love going to shows and meeting all these people. plus the collection of buckles makes me smile too.

im curious now as to what these crosses would look like. i was told if i got a hereford it would have tigerstripe colored calves. also they can sell for decent money

Sometimes they come out solid red with a white face, but most of the time the are tigerstripped, but usually and darkish color pattern.

f-1_calves-photobucket_size.jpg
[/img]

today i took a stroll down to the American Brahman Breeders Association (only about 2 miles away from my house) and got a lot of information. i was reading about the certified F-1's that are still registered with the ABBA. what are the breeds that can be used for those? if i got a hereford, would it still be registered through the ABBA, or would i have to go through something else?

My cousin has three herd of cattle. He has a Red Brahman herd, a Charolais herd, and a commercial. He crossbreeds the Red Brahmans to the Charolais to provide heifers for his commercial herd. He uses an Angus bull for the terminal cross on his F1 cows and heifers in his commercial herd. He loves his Red Brahmans and they are like pets. He will not part with a Red Brahman heifer for less than a $1000 dollars. Ol' cuz wont even cut me a deal.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":1todo6aj said:
today i took a stroll down to the American Brahman Breeders Association (only about 2 miles away from my house) and got a lot of information. i was reading about the certified F-1's that are still registered with the ABBA. what are the breeds that can be used for those? if i got a hereford, would it still be registered through the ABBA, or would i have to go through something else?

Brahman X Hereford

The most popular cross is Hereford, Angus second. You do not have to register the heifers with ABBA, but they do have what they call the Golden Certified program. It is a marketing tool, mostly for folks raising a lot of them.

Any breed can be used to create a certified F-1 as long as it is not Bos Indicus I would suppose but the beauty of the Hereford cross it is recognizable because of the tigerstripe pattern.

la4angus":tsmbx8st said:
TxCoUnTrYbOy":tsmbx8st said:

Brahman X Hereford

Latest posts