Red Brahman Questions

Help Support CattleToday:

No you don't have to pay that much. For every heifer born there is at least one bull calf. No one including HK sells all their bull calves. Some go to feedlots that would be excellent show calves. There just isn't a huge demand for brahman bulls to put on commercial cattle anymore all the composite breeds fit that bill. The main market for brahman is export and that door has been slamed shut.

Glad you found a calf at a reasonable price. Hope he does well for you.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":270vuckw said:
thank you for the offer, but a couple weeks old would be too young. it would have to be weaned and ready to be sold by the beginning of June. the calf i should be getting is the perfect age that i need. i got really lucky with this one. extremely good price and perfect age. i was fearing i would have to try and dish out $1,500 to buy a calf from HK

its all set, im going to look at it on sunday. i know im gonna buy it, but the guy said he wanted me to look at it first to make sure its something i want. im gonna take pictures on sunday too to post.

there's a good chance the breeder is just trying to help out a jr trying to get started. there are still good people around who aren't trying to take advantage of everyone. on the other hand, you may want to have your 4H or FFA advisor or someone knowledgeable to go with you to look at the animal. i agree, the sire does look a little small but could definitely be due to the picture. whatever you choose, good luck!!

ok i checked it out today and i fell in love. i do have one question though. the guy said that a Brahman steer is no good. why is that? i plan on raising the bull for breeding but im curious why a steer would be no good. also i found out that the pics i posted before were the calf's brother, not sire, but they both came from HK Passport.

i played with the calf a little, got my butt beat a little, but i am for sure buying. this was the first time its been walked out of the pen, and i was the lucky one to do it. it came out, then started trying to fight. the area was too small and it knocked me into a fence, but thats about it. we got it tied up outside and i was petting and brushing it for a while. the second i saw this calf i knew i had to have it. he loves being brushed, so i sat and brushed him for a while while i talked with the man. i was really impressed when the guy told me he had someone offer $1,000 for the calf but he said it wasnt for sale until i made a decision (i am gonna pay $500). just dont find people so nice in houston. anyways ill post some pics later i have some stuff to do right now.