red black baldy?

Help Support CattleToday:

The first cow is either carrying the wild type gene or the red gene

The second cow is carrying the red gene.

Red is recessive, it can hide for generations, until you breed the carrier to another carrier you will never see it, but if an animal is carrying the red gene there is a 50% chance that it will be passed on to ANY calf out of a carrier.

Thank God, or more appropriately thank Jesus since it's Christmas day.

Well one of my old proven keeper cows calved late this morning. She was bred to the same Hereford bull as the calves in the previous pictures. Out came a really nice looking 85 pound bull calf. Finally a BLACK baldy.

realbaldy2.jpg

realbbaldy1.jpg

So, I will assume the following:

1. The hereford bull was no Superman shooting special red bullets.
2. The first cow that calved the darker baldy had the wild type gene - hopefully the heifer calf will darken.
3. The second cow that calved, although I've seen her sire and dam, apparently carries the red recessive gene - hence the red baldy calf.
4. These are all some really nice calves. Bigger boned than my normal calves (from the Hereford). I think I'll continue to make baldies, I just need to weed out the black cows that had the red recessive gene before. Or just have red baldies. I have to admit, they are nice looking - and you wouldn't confuse it for a braford. Not sure what the red baldy may bring price wise when compared to the black.
5. Randiliana is right!

By the way, the kids named this bull calf Noel for obvious reasons :)

Hey Santa brought you one too. Mine, out of an angus bull and red cow was coal black.

Looks like this particular cow found out she was getting close to being fitted for wheels. She's been stretching her calving interval to the limits the past few years. With the uncertain near future forage situation in the area, she has been getting that little check mark in her column. Now she comes up with her second calf this year. Last one was born on January 19th and she weaned a 600 lb bull calf on July 23. I guess she is going to get a pass at least one more time.

cypressfarms":24kwq7i7 said:
Thank God, or more appropriately thank Jesus since it's Christmas day.

Well one of my old proven keeper cows calved late this morning. She was bred to the same Hereford bull as the calves in the previous pictures. Out came a really nice looking 85 pound bull calf. Finally a BLACK baldy.

So, I will assume the following:

1. The hereford bull was no Superman shooting special red bullets.
2. The first cow that calved the darker baldy had the wild type gene - hopefully the heifer calf will darken.
3. The second cow that calved, although I've seen her sire and dam, apparently carries the red recessive gene - hence the red baldy calf.
4. These are all some really nice calves. Bigger boned than my normal calves (from the Hereford). I think I'll continue to make baldies, I just need to weed out the black cows that had the red recessive gene before. Or just have red baldies. I have to admit, they are nice looking - and you wouldn't confuse it for a braford. Not sure what the red baldy may bring price wise when compared to the black.
5. Randiliana is right!

By the way, the kids named this bull calf Noel for obvious reasons :)

Congratulations, on some darn nice calves. Black, red or otherwise, they are healthy good looking calves. My personal preference is for the red and red baldies. Black is highly over-rated in my opinion. Now, you just need to find someone else of the same opinion :nod:

Merry Christmas!! :santa:

Those are some very nice baldie calves, and with that type of quality, I'll be surprised if you get docked on price at all. Where did the Herf bull come from?

greenwillowhereford II":dvwg1s1n said:
Those are some very nice baldie calves, and with that type of quality, I'll be surprised if you get docked on price at all. Where did the Herf bull come from?

Thanks GWH,

The hereford bull came from a local guy that breeds registered herfs and angus. The bull had pneumonia as a yearling and it set him back a good bit. His sire and dam looked fine, and he had good maternal epd's, so I thought I'd try him on some of my older brangus type cows. Only thing I was concerned with was the bulls birth weight, which was 100 pounds, but of the three born so far, the latest one was the biggest calf at 85 pounds. The bull is now at a friends breeding Angus to make baldies for next year.

We raise baldies, have seen many like this. Ours have generally stayed red though. Pretty calf!

Don't worry too much about it. I have a couple of hereford cows. Both bred to an Angus bull. One was red and the other was black. You may lose a few cents per pound on the red ones, but you more than make up for it with the hybrid vigor you'll get from the hereford angus cross. BTW, good looking animals.

The hereford bull was no Superman shooting special red bullets.
The first cow that calved the darker baldy had the wild type gene - hopefully the heifer calf will darken.
The second cow that calved, although I've seen her sire and dam, apparently carries the red recessive gene - hence the red baldy calf.

I run a Reg. Polled Hereford bull on blacks cows. It's been talked about many times on here, as I get lots of solid black calves out of Reg. black Augus cows. I've got solid reds out of commercial black cows. I've got what looks like a pure Hereford calf out of black baldie cow. I've got red baldie calves out of black Sim/angus cows. I've got red and black baldies out of Reg. black Gelbveih cows. I think that bout covers it. What's fun about having a Hereford bull on black cows is no two calves look alike unless yours throws a lot of solid blacks like mine. :lol: LOL B&G

Latest posts