Red beans and rice invitation

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
O.k.,

so if your in the neighborhood this evening your invited to stop by and have some good ol red beans and rice. Soaked the beans overnight, put in the crockpot at 5:30 a.m. along with some salt pork, sausage and other secret ingredients. When I came back from work at 11:30 the whole house smelled good. In a couple of hours I'll sautee eggplant and squash with sliced bell peppers, banana peppers, onions, & shallots for the wife who loves "stir fry vegetables".

cypressfarms":2t9s59m4 said:
O.k.,

so if your in the neighborhood this evening your invited to stop by and have some good ol red beans and rice. Soaked the beans overnight, put in the crockpot at 5:30 a.m. along with some salt pork, sausage and other secret ingredients. When I came back from work at 11:30 the whole house smelled good. In a couple of hours I'll sautee eggplant and squash with sliced bell peppers, banana peppers, onions, & shallots for the wife who loves "stir fry vegetables".
it has been yrs since I had good read beans and rice
that and gumbo is some of the things I miss about Louisiana

Don't you just love the crockpot for things like that. I also use the little one for a mess of fresh peas or butter beans. Put 'em on in the morning, and they're ready when you get in that evening!

edbeansnrice.jpg

Angus Cowman":ua56e370 said:
Now you are just being CRUEL

It's not my fault your way up in Missourri. I'll make you a deal; you come down one day and I'll cook you whatever you want. Just don't ask for anything insane like fish and chips or clam chowder. ;-)

cypressfarms":3uchi6m5 said:
O.k.,

Well that sucks! Post the secret stuff so we can make it too.

MistyMorning":4da0udex said:

Sorry Misty, wasn't trying to make anyone mad. First with any beans I let them soak overnight in water. Drain the water off and put in slow cooker, adding water until it's about an inch above where the beans are. Today i did red beans. I also added about a 1/4 pound of salt pork, a link of sliced sausage, some lea and perrins, some brown sugar, celery, chopped onions, one sliced bell pepper, and a healthy amount of Tony Chachere's seasoning. Sometimes we put bacon in as well, but since I put the salt pork I left it out. I don't like real spicy food - some put in hot sauce. I cooked it for about an hour on high heat to cook down the onions and bell peppers, then on medium heat for about 9 hours stirring every hour or so just so I could smell it. The water cooks into the beans and makes a nice thick "sauce" to put over rice. Enjoy!

cypressfarms":149zhgos said:
Angus Cowman":149zhgos said:
Now you are just being CRUEL

It's not my fault your way up in Missourri. I'll make you a deal; you come down one day and I'll cook you whatever you want. Just don't ask for anything insane like fish and chips or clam chowder. ;-)
Your on!!!!!!! and don't worry I will take shrimp gumbo or red beans and rice any day

cypressfarms":p90se3qj said:
MistyMorning":p90se3qj said:

Sorry Misty, wasn't trying to make anyone mad. First with any beans I let them soak overnight in water. Drain the water off and put in slow cooker, adding water until it's about an inch above where the beans are. Today i did red beans. I also added about a 1/4 pound of salt pork, a link of sliced sausage, some lea and perrins, some brown sugar, celery, chopped onions, one sliced bell pepper, and a healthy amount of Tony Chachere's seasoning. Sometimes we put bacon in as well, but since I put the salt pork I left it out. I don't like real spicy food - some put in hot sauce. I cooked it for about an hour on high heat to cook down the onions and bell peppers, then on medium heat for about 9 hours stirring every hour or so just so I could smell it. The water cooks into the beans and makes a nice thick "sauce" to put over rice. Enjoy!

Cypress! I was not mad, just teasing ya. BUT, since it got ya to post the recipe....... :D

Thanks for posting it, sounds wonderful, a really good meal for a cold fall or winter day!

MistyMorning":3643oh88 said:
Thanks for posting it, sounds wonderful, a really good meal for a cold fall or winter day!

If you want something for a cold winter day, the ONLY thing is some nice hot gumbo. I can remember as a kid, when cold fronts were coming through being happy, because I knew mom would be making a gumbo.

cypressfarms":33v46hg2 said:
MistyMorning":33v46hg2 said:

If you want something for a cold winter day, the ONLY thing is some nice hot gumbo. I can remember as a kid, when cold fronts were coming through being happy, because I knew mom would be making a gumbo.

That and fresh baked bread. When mom made bread you'd smell it on the way home.

backhoeboogie":268p897q said:
cypressfarms":268p897q said:
MistyMorning":268p897q said:

That and fresh baked bread. When mom made bread you'd smell it on the way home.

Oh yeah, fresh baked bread too! :D

Now cypress, you mention the only thing to have on a cold winter day is gumbo? Well us yanks in the colder areas would be eating it every day for about 5 months or so! :nod:

I definitely am going to try that recipe and if anyone wants to toss a good gumbo one out there, that would be great too. Sorry to hijack cypress! :oops:

That sounds delicious Cypress if I was closer I would have stopped by as well even would have eaten all those carbs.

GUMBO recipe please ...... :)

Cypress I haven't had GOOD red beans and rice since last time I was in Gray, Louis......sister lived down there. Use to visit folks around Beaumont, Tx sometimes and seemed those folks lived on rice and gravy. They ate it 3 times a day.

And to think I missed it. I had a doctor friend who was from Orange and she made the best gumbo I have ever had. She'd invite thirty or so folks to her house. She'd have several kinds cooking in big pots in the garage. Shrimp, craw dad, rooster, sausage. It was all good. All you have to do was bring the beer. And the best part is when she'd send some home with you. We'd leave stuffed to the gills. That woman never threw a bad party.

Latest posts